Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:57:06 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      The three classes of Vanagons..(long)

So... Since I've owned my 84 low top semi-westie, I have come to recognize three major types of Vanagon as I travel around or do my daily thing. The most numerous of 'My' 3 types, at least in my home area of eastern Wa. and Or. is the "POS, but it does the job". This type van (and owner) usually has dents in the back corners, rust on the surface, faded paint, etc. The owners usually are distracted and never wave, though they sometimes look around when I wave, perhaps wondering what that other nut is referring to with his headlight blink or hand in the air. I think they probably don't even realize that they are driving the same vehicle as the one I am in...These owners and drivers would probably much rather be in some other vehicle...a new minivan, a bigger SUV, a Cadillac...but they "got the van already" so they just drive it and don't think much about it, except to rail against how slow it is, or how "old" is it..... Second type is the Collector...These are the Lifted, buffed, alloy wheeled, subie powered Syncros and the totally restored Westphalia's that gleam with ten recent coats of wax and usually have all kinds of Zoot, Bling-Bling gear and toys on racks hanging on top. I see lots of these in Hood River, Oregon on weekends, festooned with bicycles and sailboards..These types often don't wave at me Perhaps they think I am a "POS but does the job" guy and I won't wave back, or that my old turd-brown is 'beneath them" or something. This type, the few owners I have talked to, seem to be more into how exclusive their vans are than what they are good for... Some of these ones I very much covet. Then the third type are those I see being used as I travel about. I see plenty here in the Columbia River Gorge during summer. This type van, they usually aren't totally buffed out. But you see many that have been improved with bigger wheels and SA light kits..This type, the owners know they have a pretty special vehicle, but one that should be used. Most look like the may get washed now and again, but they also look capable of going down a forest road without the owners worrying about a scratch, or perhaps a rock chip to one of the displayed toys hung on the outside..I put myself into the third type, I guess. These 'guys' usually wave at other vanagons.. If I had extra cash and fewer other hobbies, I would love to have a fancy tricked-out Syncro to drive only on Sundays to Starbucks, too. Or a collector's edition Westie, maybe. But I would probably "trash out" that type vehicle by using it and it'd soon no longer be a collectors item...And I seem to be always out in my semi-crummy turd brown camper van doing something else,... Don Hanson