Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:03:27 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      3 types of V..

Someone commented about 'the new car' syndrome. And some more about the right vehicle...? Well, here is a shocker that probably will get some understanding here on our List, but would bring blank stares among most others.. I can drive almost any car I want..within reason, of course..and I chose to drive my 84 Vanagon..Why? Because it is the best tool for me. It works best for what I do with it. Sure, I could go get a Sprinter, they are a similar size and much newer. Or..well, I can't really think of another available vehicle that is LIKE a VW vanagon..I'd have to be careful with a Sprinter cause they are so tall. Low branches, tight garages...no fit-ee...Not exactly right. And if it breaks?...Fix it with the new "modular" mentality...Take it to the dealer and have his computer diagnose the fault, then replace the 'system' that broke? No..don't want that.. I could drive a $60k Syncro, I guess..but why waste the fuel when most of my driving is on paved roads? I could drive a vintage Westy totally restored, but I'd feel bad when my wet doggies jumped into the bed or my bike's chain rubbed off some grease on the upholstery. I could drive a Turbo Cayenne...but who wants that kinda vehicle..well...for everyday use it's not right, for me. So I found the vanagon, after many years without a VW van and it just seems right...no matter. Especially now, after almost a year of use, I've replaced all the worn parts and it runs better than brand new..new car? Nah..not for me, thanks. Don Hanson