Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:29:45 -0400
From:         Jake Beaulieu <jbeaulie@ND.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Advice on 82' GL
Comments: To: David Johnson <davidj@ELPASOTEL.NET>

I would also reccomend a careful inspection of the cooling tin. All of the tin, including the internal baffles actuated by the thermostat, should be intact to give you the most efficient cooling and shortest warm up period. If an air cooled van has been driven without all of the cooling tin I would be concerned that it has been overheated. Also check the seal between the cooling tin and the engine compartment as well as the seal between the license plate and chassis. These prevent warm air from under the motor getting sucked into the engine compartment.

If you plan on using the heat at all I would also carefully inspect all components that channel hot air from the engine compartment to the dash. Pay particular attention to the heater boxes, riser tubes, and the things at the end of the riser tubes that allow you to control the flow of hot air to the dash.

I would also check the condition of the EGR system from the crossover tube to central air plenum. It is fairly common for the filter and associated tubing to rust out. When people see the price of replacements the most common reaction is to tear out the filter and seal up the pipes. Many folks have run their vans like this with no problems. I fall into the camp of people who assume that the original engineers knew more about the motor than I do, so I replaced mine with new stuff. This is pricey, so you might want to be prepared.

I can't think of anything else specific to air cooled vans.

good luck, Jake 82 AC Westy