Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:36:03 -0700
From:         "Phil W. Zimmerman" <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      BusFusion Bound Trip Report #04
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Hi Folks,

Wow, last report was on Day-26. Now, Day-37 for me and Happy Canada Day to all the folks of Canada, July 01. Camped on the beach at Carleton-sur-Mer, South-side of the Gaspe` Peninsula.

Cooks-tour of the last 11 days. Went to the beginning of the road on the North-Shore of the Saint Lawrence River at Natashquan. Really a bit further than Natashquan. Another 42 Km up a gravel road to a rather large river with no bridge across it! So ends road access to the North-shore of Quebec. The weather sucked, the bugs bit in droves so, off back-down the road I went. Ferried over to the Gaspe` Peninsula, landing at Matane.....

The Gaspe` quickly took hold of me and has held me ever since. Kinda like the Kashbar in the Bogart film where he tells the piano player to "Play it again Sam". Bogart couldn't shake the Kashbar in the movie, I can't seem to do otherwise on the Gaspe`. Just spent 5 days at Gaspesie Prov Park camped on Lake Cascapedia. Canoeing, hiking and biking. Weather unsettled but the cooler temperatures made these activities easier for this old set of legs and lungs. Darn is that place beautiful. Yeah, I know, all parks are beautiful but something about the greenery and the rocks of this piece of real-estate. The ancient rocks of the geography some, the oldest on the surface of the planet say the rock scientists, they (the rocks) held my attention seemingly indefinitely! But nope, this guy prefers free camping and no Provincial Park is fee.

Geezus, me and Moose this trip. There I am having a cigarette out by the lake (away from all the kiddies now camped near bye for the long-weekend). I'm taken in the scenery cuz it wasn't raining at the moment, the evening air is fresh and still the lake placid-calm. I hear the sound of soft footsteps behind me on the gravel beach. I turn around and heck, there is this Cow Moose not 20 feet from me, just stepped out of the bush onto the beach and walking towards me! Aaah now what? I am up wind of her so I blow some smoke her way. She must be a smoker-moose cuz the smoke didn't phase her at all. No Calf insight so I feel I have little to fear.... except fear itself said some long dead US President. She looks at me and halts. I take a few steps backwards away from her, she stays put. Good, I am making progress here... another three feet between me and this 1,000# world's largest Cervid! My animal-magnitude must be waning because the Moose was drawn to some piece of flora on the! lake-shore and moved to my left to munch on it. Wow, encounters like this are wonderful (who sez?).... I still prefer my wild animal sightings at the city zoo.....

Time to get out the Canadian Flag... and the BC Flag for Jake and Me.... and the Quebec Flag so the locals don't think I am some kinda Nationalistic flake and get on with celebrating Canada Day. Now, in another three days time, I hope to be in Houlton Maine celebrating with Chief Mike and Mary Collum at Camp Kelleran... for a real old-time 4th of July Celebration in the US of A! As an expatriate myself, I haven't been in the US for the Fourth of July in ages.....

Regards from the road.

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC