Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jul 2007 08:19:12 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hot showers/vans.
Comments: To: Troy Delnicki <colorworks@GCI.NET>

Hi Troy,

Troy Delnicki typed:

> Yes, I am familiar with these little contraptions, and they work almost > identically to the Coleman hot water on demand. The Coleman has a battery > that can be charged either via a 120 volt or a 12 volt plug-in

The Zodi Hot Tap Traveler's pump is 6-volt which is kind of limiting for long-term usage. The battery pack contains four D-cells and I don't pack a charger for that size, so I bring a spare set. I would much prefer a 12-V pump such as used on their DP and EP models, then I could either cigarette-plug or use a small sealed lead-acid for the job. Buying one of those models to go to 12-v is pretty expensive. But finding a 12-v pump that isn't too vigorous is also a problem -- don't want to drain the reservoir in 60 seconds! The Traveler's pump does something like a liter a minute. The 12-v submersible pumps I've looked at,

such as http://www.absak.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/24_74

pump way too much volume. The flow could be restricted by a valve at the output of the pump w/o damage, according to the mfgr. Of course, when drawing water directly from a stream, there's no danger of draining the reservoir, but the water would be flowing so quickly through the heat exchanger that it wouldn't get very warm, as you note.

> It appears the Zodi has a dual burner/bottle > system that may overcome this. see: > http://www.hotcampshowers.com/products51784.html > Not sure of the range in terms of hose length and pressure. I guess this > is not a problem if you stick with a 5 gallon reservoir bag.

To draw water from a stream and lift it to the shower nozzle I guess a submersible pump w/ a low flow rate but a good lift (head) is what's needed. I don't know where to find such an animal.

> More stuff to carry <sigh>

Yeah, I'm always seeking the sweet spot between providing the essential comforts and carrying too much cr#p.

> The Zodi does appear to be smaller > than the Coleman. Do you happen to have any dimensions?

The Hot Tap Traveler's heat exchanger box is 5 x 5 by 11'' tall (including the bit that the bottle screws to). Their hard case carry box/reservoir, into which the hoses and pump and battery pack stash, is about 12'' long by 10'' wide by 10'' tall. There are protruding bits like hinge and latch. The top detaches and has a molded socket to accept the bottom of a propane bottle for stability.

> > If you divert the water, I'm assuming that's heated water, and would think > it would get too hot if it recirculates? I guess you could turn the > temperature down, but can you turn it down enough? When I tried doing this > with my Coleman, the water simply got too hot.

Yup yup yup. To avoid wasting water, nozzle water gets diverted back into the reservoir and recirculates through the heater. It gets hotter and hotter. I always start out a shower with the heat set to medium and think, "I wish is was a bit warmer." I end up my shower going, "Yeouch! That's getting hot!" Need to try setting it to "low" and give it a bit of time to warm up.

But the end result is feeling quire refreshed when I towel off which makes it worthwhile. That, and not having to smell the distinctive yet oddly unpleasant tang of my skin's juices fermenting on my body. Feh.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR