Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jul 2007 21:26:07 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator help-yes, I've already searched the archieves

Try bench-testing in the LP mode by hooking up a portable LP tank. Remove the orifice and VERY GENTLY rotate a needle in the hole by rolling between your fingers. You just want to smooth out the walls of the hole without enlarging. Be careful. Test the flame with the burner box open and you may see an improvement. Run the thermostat up and down. You should hear a faint click as it goes on/off and see the flame go small then large at the same time. The flame ignites much easier if the thermo is at max. I also tried wrapping the burn tube assembly with aluminum foil to help keep the heat where it's needed. This was done by removing the metal jacket (just push the sides together on either side of the seam. Gently peal back the fiberglass and put aside. Gloves and a mask are a good thing at this time. Wrap several layers of foil around the heating elements and then reassemble. I also used fiberglass to insulate the whole flue/burner-box with foil tape over that. Top that off with a few recycled computer fans on the coils and inside the fridge and you should get better cooling. Keep in mind that I have not yet field tested these mods yet, but so far so good. Yesterday the temp was 35F with ambient at 75F. The fans run nearly constantly and I think an override switch may be good so that it can be turned off at night.

Now for a few days of camping in 85F+ temps to really see if this was worth all the trouble...

Keith O

PS I made a nice flue cover out of my old boy scout pot which I trimmed down a bit and cut off the handle. It's aluminum and the perfect size for a snug fit. Forgot it was on there today and when I lit the fridge it blew the cover right off!! On Jul 1, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote: