Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:34:32 -0400
From:         Sam Conant <samcvt@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: What i see through my lens....
Comments: To: Miguel Pacheco <escorpion1955@YAHOO.COM>

Garcia Miguel, Several years ago, during my six month "mid-life walk-about" with my 84 Westy, I decided to leave the U.S. and head for Panama (first). Except for one scary night when I pulled several hundred yards off the road into the scrub, the trip was truly easy and fantastically pleasant. My scrub event was on my second night south of the U.S. border. Something awakened me in the early AM ... and, it became apparent that the noises circling my "wagon" were not made by scurrying animals ... Something about human voices alerted me, I guess.

Quietly, I reached down, pulled out the 9mm pistol I had picked up just south of my crossing ... took off the safety, and let a stream go into the tops of the cacti in which I was spending the night. While I wasn't able to interpret the language, I was quickly aware that my "signal" has alarmed and suggested strongly that my Westy (with Vermont plates) might not be the best pirate stop on the trail. The rest of the trip south was fine, as was my month later trek north and across the Canadian border and on to the North Slope of Alaska.

One result of my mid-life walk-about a few years ago has been the realization that more of us folks in the Western, Anglicized world ought to think about spending quality time, out and about, contemplating our respective navels checking out just who and how we want to be when we grow up the next time.

Several years ago, and a few months after my "walk-about," I decided to demonstrate that a mental health professional can actually and really retire. So, I became a full time Disaster Mental Health volunteer with the American Red Cross. At the same time, I accepted a position as President of the board of a local cable TV station where I had been hosting and producing a weekly community affairs program. After several years of demonstrating that it is truly possible to "fail competently at retirement," I resigned both volunteer positions to assumed overall practice management responsibilities for my wife's primary care, private medical practice. After three years and at my recommendation, we closed the solo practice in April, 2006 and my wife accepted a beneficial officer from a practice owner in Waterville, Maine. In February 2007, my wife and I returned to live in Vermont from Maine where she had accepted a private practice position replacing two physicians who had decided to return to California. In November, we embarked on still one more journey when my wife underwent major surgery to remove a couple of GYN tumors which are never, ever found to be cancerous. My wife's were - and matasisis had set in. After a second surgery and consultation with the Dana Farber Cancer Center in Boston, following their recommendations, my wife began a full regimen of radiation treatments in Maine. When that schedule was completed, we decided to return to our Vermont home and engage in chemo-therapy here, near our home. She will complete that schedule next Tuesday.

S0 now, while we have had the radiation and chemo schedule to confirm that Lynn and been doing everything possible to deal with her diagnosis ... Next week marks the end of knowing that she is doing whatever is possible to fight her sarcoma. So; from next Tuesday on ... until her as yet unscheduled follow up CT-Scan is completed (probably in late August) Lynn will have to sit back and wait for the results that CT-Scan .. to know just how much hope we can allow ourselves to have and hold on to.

So, those of you who pray and those of you who share concerns and thoughts for Lynn, please keep those prayers and thoughts happening. We appreciate and need them.

Finally, I recognize that I have mixed subjects up with this one .... Please cut me some slack .... This time?

Sam Conant Colchester, Vermont

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miguel Pacheco" <escorpion1955@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:18 AM Subject: Re: What i see through my lens....