Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 13:08:04 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: VW T5 California Camper

>So here are the questions...:

> 1. Does anyone know if the sink spigot is retractable > or fixed? Has anyone tried using it as an > (external/internal) shower by filling the freshwater > tank with hot water? Is the flow good enough for a > quick shower when needed?

I looked at the T5 at a dealer. Don't remember if it has a fixed or retractable tap. My T4 in Canada has the retractable head, but it won't reach far outside enough to be convenient as a shower.

There is a T4 Carthago model 32.2 with built in toilet and shower in the back. They are however not common.

In Italy we often got a free shower at the public beaches on the ocean.

Inbetween that we'd just heat a pot of water on the stove and pour over in some private spot.

> 2. Is there an option for a roof rack or to attach > one? The roof is electrically/hydraulically elevated > and can handle a 50Kg additional load IIRC.

Even if there is it would be difficult to get with the rental. When renting cars I have sometimes clicked in the roof rack option, (for carrying a kayak) but I've never actually gotten one.

> 4. I've received invoices from various camping sites > on our route, and they seem to be quite expensive >?(around 40 Euros per night - half the cost of the > camper!). Since we don't plan to spend much time in > the camping sites anyway (more driving around and > enjoying the activities and the view, no need for a > swimming pool etc.), can anyone suggest cheaper > options that offer a safe sleeping spot, toilets, and > maybe even a shower?

We checked some public sites in Italy. Price was a bit less (like 20-30 Euro for 2adults), but they were not as nice as the private. Prices at private sites vary a lot with season.

> Maybe there are safe rest stops > or shopping centers along the highways, that are more > practical for the vacationer on-the-go, where we can > park if needed and restock supplies too? > And we'd need to refill freshwater and dump grey water > too.

You don't say where you travel, but in general I think it is pretty safe in much of Europe. We often just stopped in a private spot, and were never harrased or asked to leave. Note that Austria and Switzerland has many areas with signs forbidding roadside camping. We didn't try there.

Have a nice trip, Martin

-- Martin Jagersand University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~jag/