Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:55:01 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sudden head gasket coolant catastrophic leaking
Comments: To: Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA>

There is a lot of speculation going on here. I have had the outer gasket split a few times. The reasons most likely are as follows:

Bad gasket! Yes, this is a molded product. Material contamination, temperature control, whatever.

Poor installation technique or corrosion, most likely on the case side pinching the gasket. Also, if the gasket sealer starts to set before the head is installed and torqued down. The can be a real problem with the Right Stuff. Once the sealer hardens, it will not compress and the added pressure will cause the gasket to later split. The directions say assemble within 5 minutes.

Due to the gasket design, internal system pressure was not the cause of failure. It sucks that it has to be done again but it should go fairly quick as everything is not rusted in place. Don't beat yourself up to much.

Dennis