Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:16:15 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What do YOU store in your (camping) van?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@knology.net>

I hear you.....my inviolate rule is that the Westy stuff stays in the Westy and under no circumstances comes into the house or the garage. I long ago bought duplicates for anything that is useful both in the house and in the Westy --- so there is no shuffling back and forth --- and no forgetting (for example) that I'd grabbed the Westy corkscrew, or axe, for use inside. My wife once grabbed the Westy chairs for some reason --- though I asked her not to --- and swore she'd put them back in the van. The next weekend we were camping without chairs........... And this one was my fault -- I took all of the cookpots out of their place so I could work on replacing the hose to the Westy sink. I did not put them back and we camped without them the following weekend. Let me note that you can poach eggs in a cutoff beer can on a campfie if you want to :-) The moral of the story is keep the Westy stuff in the Westy so you're always ready to go.............

Cheers, Doug

On 7/12/07, Jim Felder <felder@knology.net> wrote: > > We pretty much camp year round (except for the really hot summer) AND > the camper gets driven locally a good bit so some things stay on > board and some things come and go as needed. I don't carry the > portapotty or food (except a few items like seasoning) around all the > time. I do carry the bedding (it's washed immediately upon return and > then goes back in the van) and changes of clothes in the closet and a > collapsible outdoor table as these things are light, don't rattle and > are hard to keep track of when they are out of the van. > > All the electronics stuff--flashlights, spare batteries, inverters-- > live in the small cubby by the outlets. Pots and pans, wrapped in > grocery bags so they won't rattle, stay on board in the pantry. > > The drawer carries its contents year round. The stuff in the drawer-- > the corkscrew, to name one--is to valuable to misplace. If I brought > it inside, the contents would become part of the household stuff by > osmosis. Same with the plates and cookware. I once let it go into the > house at the end of spring, and that fall found myself in a state > park "country store" buying a huge enameled bucket just to be able to > cook rice. Never again! > > Virtually everything else is either in a tub in the garage, organized > to be loaded in quickly and without long consideration; or it is in > the kitchen shelves in containers that slide into the pantry. > > Anything else that's not a personal item is probably going in the > fridge or pantry as a consumable. > > We plan what we eat, so we don't have bulky stuff on board that we > aren't going to use. I have friends who show up after a trip to Sam's > Club with five pounds of butter and huge bottles of condiments. We > don't do that. Oh, and no glass, as far as is practicable. > > Jim > > On Jul 11, 2007, at 11:31 PM, Ellen in Oregon wrote: > > > I've been preparing tonight for a three day camping trip, starting > > tomorrow. > > It amazes me how much "stuff" I keep in the van, especially non- > > perishable > > goods. As an ASI coversion, I have one small cupboard beneath the > > sink that > > has one shelf. Here's a list of what I have in just that one > > cupboard: > > > > Tea, coffee, sugar, hot chocolate, fruit bars, scooby snacks (graham > > crackers shaped like dog bones....DON'T ASK), oatmeal, dried fruit, > > jambalya > > rice mix, top ramen, marshmallows, soy sauce, olive oil, salad > > seasoning, > > soup, tuna, baby corn, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, black olives, > > black beans, > > white rice, kidney beans, salsa, mushrooms, plates, cups, wine > > glasses, > > storage containers, campers soap. > > > > Really, it's just a matter of figuring out menus for the weekend, then > > adding to what is already there. Throw the perishables in the > > fridge when I > > get off work tomorrow afternoon, and off I go. Everything I need > > to camp is > > kept in the van. Add some clothes & food, and she's ready to > > roll. It is > > so much easier than the tent camping I used to do! > > > > Of course things vary depending on whether it is summer or winter > > (I camp > > all year around) but it is nice to have things pre-packed. Does > > everyone do > > this? Or is your van unpacked when you get home? > > > > Ellen > > Lola, '85 Vanagon ASI > > > > > > Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will > > flow > > into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own > > freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will > > drop away > > from you like the leaves of autumn. > > --John Muir > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en- > > us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507 > > >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com