Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:25:19 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hydraulic lifter wear/cleaning question
Comments: To: Pascal Giasson <pascal.giasson@GNB.CA>

Wasserboxer 1.9L short block is said to be less likely need overhaul especially if it has low or medium total mile age on it. I had dismantled two 1.9 engines both at 110k mile age. Both had good short block. One of them is now at 150k plus miles and it still runs and sounds great. The other is my recent rebuild of my 83 westy. Could not see or feel anything wrong with the short block. So nothing was done to the short block either. I expect both engines to last up to 200k or more.

Your 1.9, based on your words, seems in reasonably good shape. You probably only need to recondition your cylinder heads. Re-ring the pistons or put in a new liner set which is not expensive and easy to do. Lap the valves. It's a bit of work but it is very rewarding. You will know if they need to be machined after lapping the valves yourself.

I did drain all lifters and repack them. They all worked fine as far as I can tell so far. Check your fuel lines on the top of the engine. If they are in good shape don't disturb any of the clamps. You can replace all of them of course. Somehow in California those fuel lines seem to be quite durable probably due to the weather.

I don't see experts from the list responding to your quest. These are my opinions. You sure can go the expensive route by sending off the block and the heads to a pro shop. They will do "everything" for you. That's not what I did though.

Good luck.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html