Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:32:21 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon or Econobox?
Comments: To: Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@comcast.net>

The syncro is an econobox of sorts... it's a lot bigger box than the metro for sure, and show me something else that can haul all your gear, has 4wd, and gets 18mpg...

Two weeks ago there were a bunch of folks in town visiting, and we all went to maine in the 9 passenger 2wd bostig shop van... we got 18mpg over 200 miles with 8 people onboard! I can't think of something else that could have seated 8 comfortably for that trip.. the grandmother of a friend had a blast... I even made sure to do a few extra laps around a rotary near the beach we went to since she's from the midwest and she hadn't been in a rotary before. We had 5 people that day who had never been in a vanagon before and loved it. Soon they'll all be "infected" and have like 2 or 3 vanagons sitting in their yards too.

Jim Akiba

On 7/12/07, Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@comcast.net> wrote: > Next week I will be headed out on a road trip to see friends and > family. Most likely do about 1500 miles. Iv'e been tossing around the > idea of driving my Geo Metro econobox which gets about 55mpg hwy. Not > much camping involved in this trip so I could leave the westy and all > the toys (kayak, bike) at home. Driving the syncro would cost an extra > $180 in fuel, assuming 18mpg. > > But it's not just about money. The Metro is not a great freeway car by > any means. In fact it's kinda scary at times. Last night I drove the > Metro to the airport to pick up my daughter. On the way back, there was > a horrible multi-car accident. Just before we got to the carnage, we > drove over a big, deep and sharp-edged pothole which probably sent one > or more vehicles out of control. There was a big SUV with both left > tires gone. If I had hit that pothole at 65mph with the Metro, well, > you get the picture. Would NOT have been good to drive over that hole > with the Syncro either, but I know it would have been better able to > handle the situation than the Metro with it's 12" micro tires and mushy > suspension. > > Looks like I will be driving the Syncro barge and enjoying the slow > lane with my toys on top! > > Safe travels everyone... > > > > > Keith O. > 90 Westy Syncro "VikingWagen" > Past VeeDubs in the family > 1984 Westy "Brownie" > 1980 PU diesel > 1978 Rabbit diesel > 1979 Rabbit gasser > 1963? 23 window Splitty > 1965 Bus > 1969 Bus > 1959 Bug >