Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:24:36 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: tie rod removal
Comments: To: thomas LaPointe <vanagonmail@GMAIL.COM>

There is a slot machined in the steering rack itself, on each end where the inner tie rods connect. When the tie rods are installed, someone (should have) taken a punch and dimpled the thin flange around the edge of the tie rod joint into this groove. This prevents the tie rod from coming loose inside the boot, where it can't be inspected.

To remove the tie rod end, take a punch and tap the dimple out the other way so that the tie rod can turn freely. Be sure to follow the illustration in the Bentley, which shows the rack itself--not the housing--locked up in a vise. If you clamp the housing, you risk messing up the pinion and seals when you put torque on the tie rod end to loosen it. With the rack extended and locked up in the vise, you avoid stressing the pinion and seals.

Obviously, scratching or marring the rack with the jaws of a vise would not be a good idea either, so cut an aluminum can (or similar, maybe rags would work if you're lucky) to use for a pad to protect the rack.

Jim