Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:47:30 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Westy stumbling?
Comments: To: UCMYVW@AOL.COM

Here is a suggestion from me. But before I put it down there is some background information you may want to hear first.

My 84 vanagon is a 1.9 too. One day it appeared to be misfiring on my way home on the freeway. It ran a little rough but kept going until a traffic jam. It died and would not start again. Towed it home by AAA road service. I had dinner first then looked at the vanagon. It started fine. I was a bit lost.

It happened at last two more times. Each time it started fine after letting it rest for a while. But then one day it totally refused to start ever again. It was left at my employer's parking lot for almost 2 months. Each week I would take a few parts from my 83 to swap the same out of the 84 and see if I could nail the failed part. No luck. Well, almost at the point I was about to tow it to a repair shop it suddenly started fine. A little rough but it ran. I drove it over 10 miles to take it home. I parked it for a few more months.

One evening I decided to start all over the basica troubleshooting. It was a little dark. I spotted a little arcing at the terminals of the coil. I took the coil off and gave it a thorough cleaning for the terminals. Put everything back and started the engine. It idled fine so I began to drive it again. It has been hum... 10 years? It never bothered me again.

So here is the suggestion. Check your ignition when it's dark. You may see something that is causing all the troubles. But of course this can be only one out of possibly dozens of other possibilities. Best luck to troubleshooting.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow