Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:50:05 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: power window fuse location?
Comments: cc: Tom Myers <motmyers@HOTMAIL.COM>

> From: Tom Myers <motmyers@HOTMAIL.COM> > Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:08:52 -0400 > > I cannot pin down the location of the power window fuse [ 1990 westy] > The owners manual says it is above the fuse box [ among the relays] > All I can spot is a 20 amp fuse , a 10 amp fuse and a silver fuse > looking thing. [ all look fine ] and my bently is nowhere to be > found...

I don't know about Westys, but many US cars use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse for the power windows. Usually they are self-resetting; once the overload goes away (or maybe after you turn the ignition off and wait a few minutes for the breaker to cool) it will reset; there isn't a reset button. Often they are designed to plug into the same hole as a blade- type fuse, and resemble a silver box about 3/8" x 1" x 3/4" (10 mm x 25 mm x 20 mm) or so, like http://www.bussmann.com/images/4da20053-8783-452b-b1f4-6daf37982300.JPG . The FLAPS sells color-coded replacements in various ratings: http://www.bussmann.com/images/5b25f212-c454-4ec4-9737-dc73c84554a8.JPG

Having said all that, the circuit breaker could be doing its job... protecting the wiring from a short somewhere. One way to tell if you've got a dead short is to replace the breaker with a fuse of the same rating and turn on the ignition while watching the fuse. If the fuse blows right away, then you've got a dead short and need to investigate further. If the fuse doesn't blow, try operating the window. If the window works OK, perhaps the breaker is just getting old, which happens - replace the fuse with a new breaker and see what happens. If the fuse blows when you try to operate the window, you could have a short, or maybe the motor is just getting old and drawing a little too much current. Either way, at this point it's probably worth buying a new breaker and re-testing; if the new breaker pops too, then more work is needed; if the new breaker is fine, then you're good to go.

DO NOT INSTALL A BREAKER OR FUSE WITH A HIGHER RATING THAN THE ORIGINAL BREAKER. This is a quick way to melt wiring and start a fire.

Matt Roberds