Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:41:51 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

Hi, ok, it's friday.

"""While you may feel that you don't care, a bad idea in my opinion, many others may think differently. People are different. Everyone has different purpose, different criteria, different need and different affordability for a subi conversion or any conversion."""

I said... I don't care, and it's true, i don't. But yes, and sorry, i do respect others opinion.

""Let me ask you, did you talk to your car insurance company before doing the conversion?"""

Yea, and they don't care, i also again don't care. Even the Quebec vehicle inspection doesn't care.

"""Or at least did you tell them about your biggy EJ25 or V8 big block whatever it is after you did it?""""

What biggy EJ25? it's just a normal engine for that kind of van! what should have been there at the beginning. What is as dangerous, or even more is an underpowered heavy van that is haveing trouble entering freeway in between 2 big rigs or simply passing a car or getting out of the way of a dangerous situation.

"""If you did not it's not too late now. If you run into an accident you may wish you never heard of a subi conversion."""

Life is a risk! As for wishing that i had never ran into a Subi conversion, well, you know my position on that, i have a big smile in my face now when i drive my van, stangly, i found myself looking outside instead of looking at the dash steadily.

"""A vanagon is not a van designed to out run others at 80 MPH or faster.""" Who say so??? you? did you ever? I respect those who won't but i will, sometime at least, to get out of somestupid driver in teh way. In average i drive 70

"""Its handling wasn't designed for a bigger engine.""" A 6cyl was also design for it http://www.oettinger.de/ but i guess it was in the 80, and fuel crisis was at is peak so they kept the 4cyl. I found that a westy handle very well speed over 80, better than my Sunfire.

"""When an accident happens all fingers may point at your subi engine."""

Sure, why not! The engine will be the reason, not me, of course, never the driver... Belive me men, where i live, they won't ever blame an engine.

"""Even if you get your policy written down for your big conversion all fingers will still point at you if you run into a liability bigger than your policy can handle.""""

You have to many layer in the family, havemore fun in life and stop worring.

"""not everyone has the need of going faster in a westy or a vanagon. Speed is actually against life, the slower the better.""""

Sure, good for you, not for me, i drive a bike at speed well over 160 mph, now, if i have an accident, i will die, and they will blame Suzuki for doing such a powerfull bike.

"""I agree that while many may enjoy from more power but for many others greater power is not desired."""

He he he, who?

"""The greatest advantage of using a stock engine is it is cheap to repair and it is reasonably durable.""""

He he he, cheap, well, not so sure anymore, wanna see some of my customers invoice? Durable, yes, they were.

"""In my opinion a wasserboxer mechanic is under challenged."""

Sure, we are: http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_engine5.htm

"""One of the reasons people still drive vanagons is it is easy to repair. A subi conversion changes that and for some it is not desired"""

Sorry but... wrong again! most people are having so much trouble finding good wasser mechanic. Fixing a Subi, or a Honda is a joke! Why is this list is so big and usefull? Of course Subi are not for everyone :-) I smell a little frustration here :-)))))

""""One example, an EJ25 from a late model year of Subaru would be a nightmare for the conversion."""

Wrong again, we did 2 and are starting a third one (2006 x 2, 2007) i hate to say we... but that include me. In some ways, it's almost easier.

"""You would have to have the 3-way catalytic system transplanted into the vanagon.""""

Wrong again, first, there is only 2 OS, the second one is only a warning one for cloggued cat, very different design than Honda or Toyota. A VW 2.1 EMICO cat is just perfect. Now, the challenge was more around the fuel pressure system, but again, easily solve by Hans from Vanaru.

"""When the OBD2 system calls for an error code you would be sorry and you would wish you never heard of the conversion. Been there"""

Sure if you plug an OBD (not 2 by the way) you will have errors, a lot, like your door is not close so the engine won't start, he he he. But now, you need to know about OBD reader and how to use them... my shared!! reader cost 7000$. You have been there?

"""If I want speed, my Passat can out run your subi vanangon any time. 80 MPH at 3000 RPM is just easy cruising speed. I could go to 6000 and stay there for hours."""

Were you not saying that speed was dangerous??? ho i see, another purist :-)

"""For a vanagon or a westy speed or power from a conversion is not everything.""""

I agree 100%, reliability and peace of mind is as important :-)

"""It's not old lady talk when people give reasons why they dislike it."""

Of course and i respect that, now bring me some proofs bro because you need tons of it! Me, i work 3 hours per night to show and proove my stuff with a web site of over 9000 pictures.

I will have a great weekend, thanks, i hope you will too!

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm