Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:16:39 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1982 accelerator cable
Comments: cc: Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET>

> From: Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET> > Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 08:22:45 -0600 > > I cannot find the OE. This was originally a diesel, but was converted > to a gas (Rabbit) before I owned it, so possibly the OE wouldn't work > anyway. I believe all I really need is an appropriately sized cable > (bicycle shop?), the cable ends or stops, and some way to attach them.

Try local motorcycle shops. They make cables for people who put custom handlebars on bikes or build custom bikes. They should have reels of cable, a variety of ends, and the crimpers to swedge the ends onto the cable.

If at all possible, take in the old cable to show them the ends. If you can determine exactly how long it needs to be, you can just give them the number, but if not, you may need to either a) take in the van or b) have them make a cable with one end swedged on and the other end bare, install the cable on the van, run the adjustment all the way to one end (so you have plenty of adjustment as the cable stretches over time), mark where the other end needs to go, remove the cable, and have them swedge on the other end. There are little "brass ball with setscrew" things you can use instead of the swedged ends, but the swedged ends fit better and don't slip off as easily.

Once you've figured out the specs for the first cable, if it wasn't too expensive, you might have them make you a second one just like it. Write the specs on a piece of paper and stick the paper in a Ziploc bag, then grease up the second cable and stick the cable and Ziploc bag in a bigger plastic bag and toss it in the garage or in your van.

Matt Roberds