Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:42:01 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

Ben wrote:

> Robert, like i am trying to show everyone as hard as i can... > Up north, here, i have to deal with stuff like that each day: > http://www.benplace.com/maritime2007/odd_dead2.jpg

Ben....

Holy mother of $%#(@# !!

Yikes!

That's **almost** unbelievable! What did they do? Run a blower and intake duct to the engine bay from the rear tire to catch winters' salt-splash from water on the road??

You need to move to the "Left Coast". Nothing ever rusts out here!

--- ;^)

As for air cooled parts getting harder to find, it's almost a shame (my engine runs so well) that I'll be doing an engine conversion..... someday.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 7/13/07, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote: > Robert, like i am trying to show everyone as hard as i can... > Up north, here, i have to deal with stuff like that each day: > http://www.benplace.com/maritime2007/odd_dead2.jpg > > Here you see an injector, but imagine the rest of that van!!! > many parts for 1.9L are discontinued, crucial parts! ok, for now, i have > good frinds in southern states that help me with good used parts... but for > how long will that last??? lately, Worldpac/Carquest (one one the biggest > part suplier in NA) as many Vanagon parts NLA (no longer available), Even > Altrom/NAPA also. So for me, it's getting harder and harder AND MORE > EXPENSIVE THAN EVER!!! > > So yes, i agree, but not in 10 years, sorry to say... here where i live, in > Westy wonderland, Vanagon camper that not so long ago were selling fast and > hight... are NOT selling good this year, people are going for Eurovan, > Eurovan have drop considerably under 20K, even 15K. So hight end Vanagon may > have a market because they are roomier and more charming but things are > changing, i can feel it. For me, the Eurovan is an horrible van mechanicaly, > men ho men, removing an engine is quite something. > > This as nothing to do with conversions. it's just a fact about Wasser engine > and the van itself! Same goes for Air-cool Vanagon and most type2 Westy > (72-79), i had to wait 2 weeks lately for a 79 exhaust part. > > Ben > > > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:45:03 -0700, Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM> wrote: > > >I have to wonder if the real question isn't whether there will be any real > >choice in say, 10 years. It's apparent that more and more people that intend > >to have their vans that long are opting for a conversion. As this continues > >to happen and the group of active WBXs continues to dwindle there will come > >a time when it is no longer economically feasible for WBXer parts makers to > >do so, and so those who still have the engine will be competing for an > >ever-shrinking pool of parts, used or otherwise (not to mention capable > >mechanics and so on). At some point anything resembling a realistic support > >structure for the WBX will collapse. > >By then it'll be down to those that'll be buried in their vans... and > >everyone else. : ) > > > >Cya, > >Robert > > >