Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:30:17 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

>Let me ask you, did you talk to your car insurance company before doing the >conversion? Or at least did you tell them about your biggy EJ25 or >V8 big block >whatever it is after you did it? If you did not it's not too late now. If you >run into an accident you may wish you never heard of a subi conversion.

This is important!

>Especially if you do a bigger more powerful conversion you really want your >insurance company know about it and put it down in the policy for >you. A vanagon >is not a van designed to out run others at 80 MPH or faster. Its handling >wasn't designed for a bigger engine.

In fact the handling most certainly is capable of big-performing engines, and even then is upgradable.

> Speed is actually against life, the slower the better.

How's that? And please recite the governmental line of "speed kills".

> >The greatest advantage of using a stock engine is it is cheap to repair and it >is reasonably durable.

By the evidence from this list & elsewhere, neither of these are correct. They are expensive to repair and fragile.

>One example, an EJ25 from a late model year of Subaru would be a nightmare for >the conversion. You would have to have the 3-way catalytic system transplanted >into the vanagon.

Fortunately not applicable everywhere in the world... yet.

>When the OBD2 system calls for an error code you would be >sorry and you would wish you never heard of the conversion. Been >there. Did not >do it.

If you have stock Subaru engine-management, the codes should work just fine.

> >I could go to 6000 and stay there for >hours. At that speed your subi van will be belly up guaranteed.

Not true. They are stable at speed and corner extremely well... so long as they are not loaded both heavily & asymmetrically. My Caravelle GL was just fine at 180-190kmh with stock suspension and ordinary (if nonstock) wheels & tires. The only problem (with my van) was rear-mass-induced understeer on tight corners, and replacing the iron V6 lump with an EG33 should cure this.

>My 84 vanagon is not worth much more than $1k. It's >hardly justifiable for a $9k (Beeny's) subi. I had no less fun from it >whenever I drove it to Yosemite over the summit of 10,000 feet. >A more powerful engine sure is nice. But if you want to convince me >to spend on a conversion for my 84 you are wasting time. There is no money to be made out of my 84 for a conversion.

You don't do such conversions to make money or break-even on them. You do them because you love the vehicle, love to drive and want to make it BETTER. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut