Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:10:13 -0400
From:         Miguel Pacheco <escorpion1955@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

Benny, I am probably like so many others.....I really enjoy your posts. But, damn man, take it easy. I have known about the Subie conversion for years and know that they have become much better, but I am set on a TDI and that is it for me. There are others like me on this list. Why are you suddenly doing such a hard sell on the Subie? What I don't understand is that suddenly you are so ardently pro-subie conversion.....like overnight! Furthermore, your website is sooo damn good, with the videos showing how to do head jobs, etc, that it actually encourages me away from the Subie. I love that stuff and I love the challenge. I have done it for years. The oft-slandered waterboxer has transported me for so long and for such a great distance. Let me tell you that, from my first Vanagon (an 84) to all my latest , which run the gamut all the way to 90, I have run more miles, under the most adverse demands, than most, with the stock waterleaker under the hood. I put an amazing 300K on my Syncro without one single problem.....just kept my word that I would keep mechanics out of that compartment. My Mantra has always been that I work on it, using the Bentley and my common sense. Now you may say that this has worked for me but may not for others, but hell man, how about we say, 'if you follow the directions, this is a workable path, using the motor that VW put there.'?? After all, I never performed any kind of magic. I just changed the oil, adjusted the throttle switch, changed the O2 Sensor, etc. I have had head leaks and all kinds of problems, but I have traveled over 800,000 over the last twenty years, using a waterboxer, trouble free!! Lucky me, whenever I did break down, I was close to my home. Yeah, but as you may guess, I was a commuter and you may claim that yeah, I put all those easy highway miles on it(if there is such a thing for a waterboxer)but let me give you a heads up, I had the confidence to put this baby into service to get me to work. Now that's a tall order and it never, ever, let me down. This engine conversion thing is relative to what you want to do. My take, after reading and reading on this subject is that there are plenty that want more power, etc, but there are also lots that want to take it easy and enjoy the view. Now, let me tell you that my waterboxer philosophy has always been to drive the hell out of it and I have only felt slow when I was hauling all my rafting equipment and passengers. Oh and let me tell you that I have rafted all over the SW and everyone always wants to ride in Miguel's van and let me tell you why........because Miguel never breaks down and because it is just damned comfy riding in his van!! In closing, let me say that, yeah, I am up for more power and will pursue the TDI conversion soon, but, shit hell fire man just enjoy your van and quit forcing it on us. Hell, I know it must be a sweet ride. There is no doubt. So, just two little bits to close........one is that no fr@$%ing way the subie stacks up against the TDI and two, as much as I may dislike an inline four, Mr. Jim Akiba is so well informed and articulate that, hell, any one of my vans will see a Zetec way before they see a Subie. So, enjoy your van, Benny. It is beautiful, no doubt, we have all seen it and can only guess that it is butter smooooooth. I just do not understand your die-hard determination to make us believe what we have read about over and over again for sooooo long. Damned long, I know, but hell, I just couldn't stand it any longer....... Gracias! Miguel