Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:47:27 -0400
From:         John Reddick <svyolo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need for upgraded brakes for engine conversion

Sorry Andrew, I have to dissagree with you on the brake thing. VW type 3's were built as heavy duty, 1 ton rated worked vehicles and have brakes suitable for such use. The biggest problem is the whole brake system is now 15-27 years old, including the lines. Am I slamming big brakes, no way. If you want to keep your van for a long time, replacing the entire brakes system, including the lines, is smart anyway. You can do a SA brake kit cheaper than you can put on new stock pads, rotors, calipers and wheel bearings, which is what comes with a SA brake kit. Add some SS brake lines, and you are good to go. If you have a Syncro, you can put AUDI 200 brakes on as cheaply as stock brakes. I have driven vans with very squishy brakes and they definitely needed work. Most vans stop just fine. My 87 Westy, when it had stock brakes, went up and down mountains with 5 grown men and 5 hang gliders on top. The brakes never faded. Not once. I also had a Ford E250 van at the same time. Coming down one of the same mountains, with just me in it, I almost completely lost the brakes by the time I got to the bottom of the mountain. I was barely able to stop. Do you need upgraded brakes. My opinion is no. If you are going to throw some money into your brake system, a big brake kit might end up being cheaper in the long run.

John