Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58:02 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Why convert? was Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

Some time ago I drove my '87 GL up nearby Walker pass (going from about 2300' to about 5200' elevation). We had three adults and two kids, the van was unloaded otherwise. I was doing well to make 38 mph; if I'd had a couple dollars more change in my pocket it would've probably been 35. That isn't acceptable, to my mind. I had absolutely no margin of power in case I had to make any kind of maneuver, and just to make it more irritating I had to pull over all the time to let people by. Once I got over the top I had the low-oil pressure-alarm thing happen, which kind of flipped me out (I didn't know what caused it then).

On another trip I took the van to LAX to pick up my in-laws: Four adults, two kids and a load of luggage. Again, no power to maneuver, which will really begin to loom large in your thinking if you're trying to navigate those freeways in any kind of traffic at all, and what is pretty much the top cruising speed for my Vgon was about 5 mph slower than average traffic. I was wishing for a traffic slowdown just so I didn't have to feel like I was gonna get rear-ended by every truck and SUV that climbed up my ass.

I can get behind the idea of a gentle cruising speed and leaning out the window to smell the roses and all that, but the lack of available power for the conditions in which I have to drive (out of town, anyway) makes the stock Vgon flat out unsafe in my opinion. I don't like driving around with a chronic case of butthole pucker on top of regular 'ol WBXer paranoia. I don't want to spend the rest of my Vanagon ownership days peering under the rear end of the thing ever time I walk by, or keeping one eye on the temp gauge and one ear on the engine- I'm like that already and I've yet to have the engine break down on me.

I know a good many of you folks have traveled from one end to the other successfully and happily with your WBXers but methinks the times have changed. Maybe it's more a matter of where I live and drive, I dunno, but we really like the van and we just don't feel comfortable taking it out of town anymore, so it's down to getting rid of it or converting it. So it's going to be converted- I don't know exactly to what, yet, but it will be. It's either that or get a mini-van, which I don't want and the conversion will be cheaper.

I don't want to race anybody. I want to be able to go camping or to the lake without being outrun up the pass by old guys on bicycles. I want to be able to go to my dad's in AZ with some sense that the engine will get there in one piece and that I'll be able to climb the grades up to Flagstaff without having to worry about being flattened. I want to be able to drive on the LA freeways and feel like there's some juice underfoot if I need it. We have to run A/C probably 6/7 months of the year here and I'd like to be able to climb a hill without having to turn it off and making everybody sweat it out. I want an engine that I can maintain with what I consider a normal amount of attention, not hyper-micro obsession. I'd like to be able to hand my keys to somebody if they had to drive my van without giving them a 15 minute lecture on the minutiae of piloting a Vanagon and infecting them with the paranoia (or just turning them off to the whole thing) in the process. I'd like to have something other than almost three-decades old technology that was a cobbled-together Frankenstein compromise to begin with, and for which I can get parts and some level of support for the next 15 years.

I'd like different engine. I'd really like to have an entire drive train, but that's a flame war...er, subject for another day.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 4:00 AM Subject: Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22