Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:43:57 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding coolant without a second person?
Comments: To: wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU

I use a little "prop rod" made from a broken hack saw blade with 2 little "V"s cut in each end to "secure it". I gently "wedge" the prop between the throttle cable screw connection (moving part that increases the RPMS) and something stationary in the engine compartment. I've also used a broken stick instead of the hacksaw blade.

You got the idea? It kind of takes a little finesse to get it the right length. My little prop must be about 3 inches. I look through the passenger compartment from the rear at the engine to eyeball the tach in the dash. Figure out how long the prop has to be to get ti to 2500 RPM or whatever the recommended RPMS are, then do the run-around the bus dance checking, adding, bleeding, tightening.

Obviously fashion the prop rod to give you the proper RPMS before you get into the bleeding with open valves and what have you.

This is where I would love that bleeder valve I saw someone mention on the list a while back that one of the engine conversion place sells for the Subaru conversion I think. A little spigot to replace the radiator bolt that is normally used for bleeding.

My method is primitive, with the prop rod and all, but it does work.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA LA, CA