Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:04:09 -0400
From:         Mervyn Readman <themervino@CS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

Simply put the Vanagon in it's original form is poorly powered. Sure it'll go 70 or 80. Until you reach the first uphill. That's when 90hp shows it's real lack of umph.

One of the thing's that frustrated me. Here in NC there are a lot of two lane roads with passing lanes. The passing lanes always being on the uphill. You follow someone at 40 mph for miles and miles and finally come to a passing lane but do not have any power on the uphill to pass. Meanwhile the semi blows by you. Surely others have been there done that.

All that changed with my engine swap. Now the scenario is come to the passing lane shift into third wind it up in the 5000+ rpm range and shred that measly hill. It is like a new van. And as far as cost I did my swap for around $2500 dollars total. I'd never done anything like it before. With the help of the incredibly talented and patient people on the Yahoo Subie site I managed to get it done. 55,000 miles later it is still as much fun to drive as when I first drove it after the swap. Best upgrade ever. I have to agree with others. This is not a purist Vanagon site. It's full of people doing all kinds of upgrades whether it be wheels, brakes, headlights or engines. Ben has every right to be here and I for one am real thankful for his effort. The reason Benny is so excited and enthusiastic is because he knows what it's like to drive his beloved vehicle at traffic speeds or faster going uphill. It's an amazing feeling. If you love your van and are on the fence about a swap I say find someone who has one and talk them into letting you drive it. Actions speak louder than words. Merv.