Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:48:10 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Additional tail lighting
Comments: To: Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net>

I have a 'Lucas' aftermarket rear window third brake light in my 84 and it works fine.

I installed a third light from a mid-80's Astro Van on Dixie's fibreglass top and it fits like factory. I'm the guy promoting the use of P21 bulbs for the tail lights too. The setup makes the van very visible in darker conditions like our wet coast climate & a lot more modern looking at night too.

In a good way. :)

On 7/8/07, Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net> wrote: > > > From: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US> > > Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:21:58 -0400 > > > > I noticed this light on sale the other day at harbor freight tools > > for $12.99: > > > http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93263 > > > > My idea would be to put two of these in the back window at the upper > > corners, glued to the inside of the glass. They would be out of view > > from inside, since they would be up in the area of the AC cabinet. > > That would probably work. The main thing is to not have any light leaks > around the fixture that would reflect off the glass and glare at you; > gluing the grommet to the glass would probably do that. (Look at the > little black plastic "shade" around the third brake light on any sedan > or coupe with the third brake light on the rear parcel shelf.) Glare > can be a problem even if the lamps are up behind the A/C cabinet; you > might park outside at night and have an accomplice in the back of the > Westy hold a small flashlight to the glass from the inside. If the > flashlight is flat against the glass, you can see just fine, but if not, > even a small light leak will create a lot of glare. > > > I already have the electrical converter for trailer lights that makes > > the 2 bulb light system work with the 3 bulb system of the Vanagon. > > Another option would be to just wire the "brake" filament of the new LED > lamps to the brake lights on the Vanagon. You wouldn't get any turn > signal action on the new lamps but it would be better than lamps down > low that are blocked by cargo. > > Leave a generous loop in the wires where they crosses from the hatch to > the body, as this stretch of wiring will get flexed a lot. Use only > automotive-type stranded wire; building-type stranded wire ("THHN" or > similar) is not finely stranded enough for this. > > > I went and looked at it in the store, and they are bigger than I > > thought they would be. 4 inches. > > Big trucks only use a handful of standard fixture styles. They don't > really care about styling; they do care that the lamps are bright, > visible, inexpensive, and easy to replace. The common 4" round > incandescent truck fixture has the lamp sealed inside the reflector, > with a connector on the back of the reflector - when the lamp burns > out, you replace the whole assembly. > > One good place to see and fondle each of the various kinds of big-truck > lights is at a truck stop. The LED ones might be all sealed up but the > incandescent ones that are the same size and shape will be lying in big > bins that you can rummage through. You can't see them lit up in the > store, but you can if you go out in the parking lot. This isn't the > cheapest place to _buy_ the lights, but it's a good place to see the > various kinds. > > As has been mentioned, upgrading the lamps in the stock Vanagon tail > lights is another option. In your particular case (cargo in front of > lights) it might not help as much, but it's a relatively cheap and > simple upgrade. There is a little information here > > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0704a&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=23730 > and if there is interest I can work on a more extensive chart, comparing > what's stock for a Vanagon vs. the lamps you can actually buy in the US. > > One quick note: if a PO has replaced any of the stock lamps with the > common 1156 or 1157 lamps, changing those out for 2356 or 2357 lamps > (respectively) will gain you 25% on the bright filament and be closer in > general to the stock parts. > > Matt Roberds >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com