Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:02:04 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake and Clutch Bleeding; Sequence
Comments: cc: Kevin Mulligan <mulligan_kevin@YAHOO.COM>

> From: Kevin Mulligan <mulligan_kevin@YAHOO.COM> > Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:55:53 -0400 > > I'm planning to flush the brakes and clutch and am wondering which to > do first. Brakes first (LR, RR, RF, LF), then slave, then master?

Usually I start at the wheel furthest away from the brake master and work towards it, so the sequence for most cars would be RH, LH, RV, LV (or even RR, LR, RF, LF). For a flush, I just keep bleeding at the wheel until fresh fluid comes out at that wheel. Don't let the master run dry - in a Vanagon this is easy because your accomplice at the brake pedal can also add fluid as needed while he or she sits there. For the clutch, there's only one slave cylinder, so it's easy to figure out which one to do first.

> Is it necessary to flush the master if the slave is flushed?

I don't bleed the master (brake or clutch) unless I've disconnected a line at the master.

If you're into it you can look at the size of the wheel cylinders, the length and ID of the lines, and the size of the master reservior and work out the minimum amount of fluid it should take to completely flush the system. In practice, buy two quart bottles and maybe a couple of pint bottles and that should do the brakes on most "normal" cars, vans, and light trucks.

Matt Roberds