Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2007 06:39:05 -0600
From:         Paul Chubbuck <paul@TAKINGFLIGHT.NET>
Subject:      1982 accelerator cable needs replacement-resend due to no replies

Dear folks,

I got no responses on this one last week, so I'm re-sending in hopes someone can tell me how to get this part or what to substitute.

Thanks, Paul _____

Some time ago, due apparently to arcing from the accelerator cable to my battery isolator terminals, that cable broke in mid-trip. I managed an emergency repair that has survived 5 years, but would now prefer to replace that cable, as I'm concerned that I may not be getting maximum acceleration due to the splice running into the firewall. And let me tell you, with a 1.7 in Colorado, I need maximum acceleration.

I cannot find the OE. This was originally a diesel, but was converted to a gas (Rabbit) before I owned it, so possibly the OE wouldn't work anyway. I believe all I really need is an appropriately sized cable (bicycle shop?), the cable ends or stops, and some way to attach them. Does anyone have experience with replacing this, and suggestions on appropriate parts?

Thanks, as always.

Paul