Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:13:40 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why we do it.
Comments: To: Brendan Slevin <brendan@bellatazza.com>

Hey, sounds like fun!

Some of the Vanagon vendors sell snaps so that you could install one of the Westy type rear hatch screens found on The Samba.

On 7/16/07, Brendan Slevin <brendan@bellatazza.com> wrote: > > This weekend was the maiden camping voyage of our new-to-us 84 GL Vanagon > named Totoro. I'll get some pictures up somewhere. Totoro was great, > though with no speedometer I was guessing our speed by the tach. After > fixing the cable (sort of, it's missing the plastic clip so I fashioned > one > from metal that is still working) on Sunday evening I found I was speeding > around town and slower than perceived in the mountains. The need to go as > fast as I used to or push Totoro hard was difficult to suppress, but > eventually I realized I see so much more when I am not focused on getting > around that guy or get there 3.72 seconds faster. It was very relaxing. > > We started out of Bend in the late morning after getting a coffee. The > drive up through the Cascades was beautiful, as usual, moving from dry > sagebrush and juniper up to pines and alpine meadows. Icy glacial streams > flowing into lava flow-dammed lakes boiling with rainbows and > kokanee. The > view of Bachelor and the Three Sisters is more and more breathtaking as > you > get closer and closer and eventually wind through them. Passing emerald > green Devil's Lake and the South Sister Summit Trail you see more lava > flows > but this time they are veined in pumice and obsidian. We made it to Elk > Lake amazed once again that we only live 35 miles from this serene beauty > and happy that Totoro made the trip flawlessly, if a bit more leisurely > than > before. We took a forest road around to the other side of Elk Lake and I > was surprised by how well the van took to the dirt and gravel. We set up > camp, very simple with no tent or airbed, folded down the back seat, and > put > up the snap in curtains. It was so wonderful. My wife, baby and I slept > in > the bed while our ten year old was on the floor of the van in a sleeping > bag. It was wonderful. The only complaint heard that night was about the > bugs that had flown into the van from having the windows down and the back > up. I've already started solving that problem. For ventilation I've > taken > an old tent and carefully cut the back panel off. I've got it mostly cut > down to the shape of the back opening of Totoro. I'll install a few more > snaps along the bottom and, voila, a zip down window tent back for > camping. > I am also thinking about getting the Velcro screens from Bus Depot. Does > anyone have these or a picture of them? Thanks! > > Also, I rectified the hot air blowing in problem. Seems the valve is > hard > to open and close or the cable is corroded, not sure but I went under and > shut the valve by hand and now it's only cool air in there. No more hot > shins. I also went through and replace all the tiny bulbs in the > instrument > cluster and heater controls so we can see them at night. Woo hoo! > > Anyway, that was our weekend trip. Many more to follow, I'm sure. >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com