Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:55:56 -0600
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Keep up the good work

I don't contribute to the list much, but learn a lot from you all. I have nice file of posts pertaining to jobs on my "to do" list.

When Ben started posting about his conversion I was much encouraged as I'm in the middle of one - a conversion - and I started a little over a year ago.

Ben's post on the conversion is primo vanagon content. As the Vanagon gets older, and fewer and fewer of them are on the road, strategies to customize will emerge and while there will be the 3rd kind of owner, one who drives without investing money, there will be more and more of the 2nd kind of owner, one who spends money to maintain the vehicle not as a logical way to spend money on transportation, but as a lifestyle choice.

I posted a couple months ago about creating a business fabricating modular camper interiors based on owner vision. Lots of naysaying and pooh poohing, and a couple serious inquiries as to timelines and real intentions.

Benny's enthusiasm for the Subaru conversion is exactly what the Vanagon community needs. Not as a major focus, but as the first step and one minor thread to taking the basic vanagon body and customizing it. Those thinking about different ways to customize who develop small businesses in 20 years will have niches to support their hobbies and families.

At 55, the double nickel, if I do the modular camper interior route as a business, I wouldn't expect to make money for at least five years. Eight years is closer to what I anticipate as need grows, based on effective marketing, and the business satisfies the need. I'm successful as an academic so this is an unlikely path. So he says...

I would hope that the negativity that arises on the listserv periodically is ignored. Ben's enthusiasm is a beacon for those of us who are both hobbyists and creators in the work world.

Jeffrey Olson Martin, SD (in the middle of the flyover zone)

Someone wrote in response to the post below: > Gosh, if you do not contribute to the list in any way you really are not > in any position to call upon others who have different opinions than yours. > Perhaps many people come and go because they are disappointed? > Original Post > Ben I have been a lurker on the Vanagon list for over 10 years more closer > to 15 years. During that time I have seen many people come and go on his > list. Nearly all of them have been very decent and helpful individuals who > hare a great love of our buses. Others have been some of the most self > opinionated boorish people I have ever come across. I guess that's life. >