Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:13:44 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some brake tech/ideas (long)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Here you go Don - one vendor's solution to the braking situation. Small Car in Tacoma. Van-Cafe sells a front disc kit too.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=18

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=71

On 7/16/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > Dunno if the ABS subject has been "beaten to death" in the past, but I've > not seen it mentioned in the past year since I've been on the list. > The ABS systems I have messed with are all German, from Porsche mostly, > and they seem not too complex. I don't think you could just bolt on an > ABS > system using the stock Vanagon systems, though. > The street systems, they need hardware and a controller. For practical > applications, finding and fitting everything from a donar system might be > the way to go, if ABS was what you're after. > ABS needs a wheel speed sensor at each wheel, the wiring to connect that > to an ABS brain and a hydraulic controller to send the appropriate > pressure > changes into the wheels, as needed. > A simplistic explanation of the system's working: When the wheel speed > sensors detect one wheel is turning at lesser speeds than the rest of > them, > it sends less brake pressure to the 'slower turning' or locked up wheel(s) > Most street systems will do this and then return full braking pressure at > many times per second...trying to get the sliding wheel to hook back > up...much like manually (poedially(?) with your foot, anyhow) pumping the > brakes as we learn to do on snowy or slick roads..That is where the buzzy > or > pulsing pedal feel comes when your ABS is called into play.. > The hardware is not too complex, but it is "in harms way" down there > near > the road and inside the wheel wells, so the mounting and routing of the > sensors needs to be done well. That would be simple if you took the whole > wheels, including backing plates with brackets and wiring looms from > another > car...maybe like and old 944 or a 928, an Audi or something..Get the brake > rotors, the calipers and the backing plates, the brain and the > controller.. > Me, I won't be messing with ABS for my brake upgrade..I got used to > driving over the limit of traction without that system in my racecar and > often used that fact to make passes on some of the more expensive racers > who > always relied on the ABS to control their traction during every corner..I > digress.. > Anyhow, if I were driving my Van in freeway conditions everyday, or on a > busy aggressive driver commute, or if I lived at the top of a big long > grade, the brake system in my 84 would be long gone..Its adequate for me, > but just barely. An upgrade is coming up my "to do" list as I cross off > things...like my recent fuel line replacement(which I am re-doing > tomorrow, > having just read on my new hoses..."not for use with fuel injection")... > Don Hanson > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Zoltan" <zolo@foxinternet.net> > To: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 6:16 PM > Subject: Re: Some brake tech/ideas (long) > > > > If we install ABS, could we keep the same setup as is? > > And what would it take to install ABS system? I often see ABS blocks in > a > > wrecking yard and its cheap. Would anyone know this? Or is it subject > that > > has been beaten to death already? > > Zoltan > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com