Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:01:40 +0000
From:         John Reynolds <kayakjr@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Fuel lines changed - thanks Ben!

To the list and Ben,Thanks for the kick in the pants - I changed all my fuel lines and also, finally, installed new vent lines, cross-over tube and grommets on the fuel tank and plastic tanks as well with a kit purchased from Vanagain.com last year. (I took pictures of the vent line stuff maybe I'll write it up and find someone/place to post it) With vaction pending next week, I put myself under pressure, so to speak, to get the new high-pressure hose installed. I was going to call it quits after getting about 1/2 the job done, but when the new injector seals and more hose from Bus Depot came in last night, I decided to pull the fuel rails and finish the job. Drove it to work today, checked the connections visually twice. Looks good. I did the same on my 81 Vanagon a number of years back, but had been putting this off on my "newer" (86) van. The ends of the hoses that feed the rails were cracked. I used stainless ABA clamps, but the rolled edge steel ones would have been fine a nd are a heck of lot cheaper (like $.69/ea from Bus Depot).This time, I double clamped the injector hoses, last time I re-used the collars and clamped only the outboard end, as did the factory. Again, I think re-using the collars would have been fine. I replaced the plastic fitting in the fire wall with a really thick grommet, but note that Van Cafe has these plastic fittings for less than $7.00 - in case you want to go that route. Camping season is finally started for me. A Massachusetts horse show in Northampton next week, then a trip to Moosehead lake in Maine after a week break. Any listees along the way (starting from Mass/RI border on the coast), let me know, I may need you!Happy trails to allJohn R86 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender