Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:34:16 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cost? -was Why convert? was Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

At 7/14/2007 07:13 PM, The Bus Depot wrote: >I decided that in the long run it was still much cheaper to put in >another stock engine, even after factoring in >the potential cost of a head gasket job every 75-100k miles. In fact I could >replace the stock engine a couple of times over.

When my 2.1 rod put a hole in the case I had choices and they couldn't cost me much over $2k. (1) Buy another VW, (2) find a used engine, (3) buy a rebuilt, (4) go to the auction and buy a Caravan, (5) do the conversion. The auction Caravan would have been the cheapest <g>. If I'd known about the $1k rebuilt engines (mentioned above) my decision would have been a lot harder....

During this series of threads I've seen a wide range of $$ talked about. Then again on this list I've seen people claim to spend what I consider to be outrageous amounts of money, hell I've seen people get rid of new tires because they are the "wrong tires". I'm not in that league, <shrug> a thousand dollar Vanagon is way better than no Vanagon at all in my book. Six to ten-thousand dollars for an engine? Not for me today....

Some background is needed. I remember the first time I heard of a Subaru going into a Vanagon (the early 90's on this list), I went and looked at a friends Subaru to actually 'see' the engine. That was it for me!

Ok, here is what my Subaru conversion cost me.

This does not count any tools I bought (a folding engine hoist and an engine stand come to mind) , it does not count the electrical tape or plastic ties, it does not count the soldering supplies, it does not count the JB Weld or bandaids. Not counted is the 4x8 sheet of plywood I used to do the wire harness on.

$2109.87 was the total spent (near as I can tell) including shipping and taxes.

The header, mount, wiring guide, adapter/flywheel (all KEP), throttle kit (Mastercraft, actually the KEP adapter/flywheel came from Mastercraft), PS hose (Smallcar), Shiels thermo housing, was $1137.94

When you include a new radiator (my helper over torqued the bleed bolt and cracked it), oil psi gauges, clutch & cat converter I spent $500.42 at BusDepot. These things were not necessarily part of the conversion, just things that needed to be done.

$164.08 at the Subaru dealer (on-line). This was a new timing belt and assorted seals & o-rings.

The donor ended up costing $185. I paid for the '91 Legacy, diesel fuel for my friends truck, lunch for my friend and subtracted what I got selling used Subaru parts, this came to $185.

I have $122.23 in misc receipts from assorted FLAPS & hardware stores including the hoses & hardware.

I (later) didn't like my 'fix' for the coolant return line so I spent the $100 and for the one Mastercraft sells and another $5 for the coolant flush "tee" (for filling the system).

That adds another $120 or so to the total bringing it to $2229.87 for my conversion.

I'm sure people are going to nitpick this, doesn't matter, it's "my" reality.

Rob becida@comcast.net

With a '91 Subaru 2.2 in an '87 Vanagon in western Washington.