Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:49:18 -0500
From:         Leslie Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Hearing (reading) the discussion back and forth re: an engine transplant is very interesting and informative to me.

I hope this subject will not be considered as inappropriate for this group.

The Subaru Vanagon discussion group is just focused on the best ways to make that happen not the rational behind it.

But, the high cost of doing the conversion is a real concern for me. I have an 81 AC Camper that despite my day dreams about it is inappropriate for a transplant. It is getting a rebuilt VW AC engine and auto trans now. And I have an 84 regular transporter which is a water boxer that could get a transplant, (I already bought an SVX for it) but really is a utility vehicle (and its not the nicest 84 you have ever seen) and also would not justify an expense of some amount of funds that could be several time more than the vehicle is worth, but honestly I am on the fence about this since it would be better to have the additional power and reliability that a Subaru or in line 4 from VW would give it.

At this point I think the engine transplants are definitely appropriate for a later model camper where you need the power and the van itself is not already so low in value that it would be totally irrational to spend that much on it.

But I also realize the human - automobile relationship is not always based on rationality, and most of us spend more money and time on our automobiles than a rational business like decision would warrant, I guess that is because they help us define ourselves in some way that is more important to ourselves than the exact cost and functionality the vehicles serve.

For myself I have a bunch of older vehicles, Fords, a Triumph, and two VW vans. I do not and will not buy a new car. Period. I spend more on my older vehicles than most people would consider rational.

I have bought new cars and I know what it is like when you park them in some grocery store parking lot and someone puts a ding in the door of your new vehicle that you are going to pay well in excess of $30,000 for.

I also do not want to be a part of the advertising and identity schemes sold on the mass media for these new vehicles. I do not watch TV; I reject the component of willing stupidity that is such a large part of that kind of consumerism. I find it offensive, and I personally feel that people who buy into it are contemptible, since the root principle of it is about a sociology of personal one-up-mans-ship that I do not want to be a part of.

So driving an older vehicle, keeping it on the road is an important part of my self identity, defining myself in opposition to the more common approach that other people are inclined to take.

But I am now doing what I consider the most important things first, like getting what I have in good shape mechanically, getting the brakes and suspension upgraded, getting the vulnerable fuel line eliminated, getting decent wheels and tires for these vehicles. And I do what I personally can like trying to clean the vehicles up myself - some sweat equity based on my own personal labor.

Anyway, please keep up the discussion, what we need is some less expensive way to do these transplants or a lower cost / effort transplant engine to use.

Hey, sorry if i have offended some in anyway! most of you know that i like to share! that's it! So if you want me to stop posting stuff (like i was almost ready to share how to put back a 2.2L together with conversion part...) about Subi, i will stop. I'm NOT trying to sell anything here, i never did, i live way to far for most of guys :-)

Like i always did with my site, I try to show stuff for the "do-it yourself one", for the others, at least they can understand a bit how it's done so they don't get rip-off.

I like engine stuff and that is the way I am, i sincerely understand that a 1000-2000$ van may not be a good candidate for a 6k+ conversion, i'm not stupid. But what i was trying to explain with my poor English is that we are going this way very soon, even if you fully rebuilt your Wasser and with everything around this one you may get close to that.

But i have no time neither the energie lately to argue with anyone here about a subject that i personaly find very interesting, i won't go on a Subi list because i have no need to do so.

Also, of what i know, Vanaru customers don't come from this list... second, i'm not Vanaru! i'm just having fun lately with that type of engine.

Now, i should add TIICO to that page (that i work my butt off): http://www.benplace.com/conversions2.htm Because even if i'm no fan of VW engine, TIICO is far more better than a Wasser-Boxer.

I'm NO pro Subi at all, i'm more a "PRO OF" keeping those van on the road (especially with the rusty Quebec van condition), and sadly, some of you forgot the 1000's of post i did over the years about the OEM engine and the van itself, a few years ago i would have quit this list, but i find that there is very cool and nice folks here.

Anyway, P-mail me if you interested of seing that rebuilt-subi/conversion page, i won't post about Subi here anymore, i got the message loud and clear.

Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm