Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:39:57 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brief Report on Norcold after a Week of Camping
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Hey Loren.

A useful report. Sounds like quite the set-up!

Am sticking with Dometic for now, but in future may go Norcold.

Thanks!

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 7/18/07, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > Some of you will recall that a few weeks ago I was asking questions (and > getting some very good answers) about installing a Norcold DC0040, a larger > aux battery and ways to charge that battery during extended stays in the > boonies. I'll be doing a Blog with more details in the near future but here > is a summary of the results. > First I need to extend a big thanks to several people on these lists that > offered a lot of very good advice both on the list and through pmail. Larry > Chase for advice on where to order a generator and saved a bunch of money. > Mike Elliot for sharing all his experience in doing the same thing and Karl > Mullendore also, as far as I know the first to publish info on installing a > Norcold and who kept patiently answering my questions over several months as > I decided to take on this project. And especially Dennis Haynes whose > urging to go to a bigger onboard charger was right on . And again a special > thanks to Paul Guzyk for his hands on help in figuring out the rats nest of > wiring in the old aux battery box, getting all the interior accessories > switched to the new aux battery without having to add any additional wiring > and helping get the new Surepower 1315 in. > > First, I consider the change over to the Norcold a total success. After > one full week of use I have no complaints, not even about the way I did the > install. The configuration I ended up with I'm very happy with. It's like > this: > > Norcold DC0040 installed where the Dometic 182 was. The old front panel, > sans door, from the Dometic was widened slightly and retained as the > surround for the front. > A Fullriver Group 31 AGM battery was installed under the rear seat and wired > into the existing aux power fuse panel already in place. > A Surepower 1315 was wired in and replaced the old relay system that was in > place for battery separation. (Will later up size the wire between the > starter battery and the Surepower and add wiring to allow the aux battery to > assist the starter if needed) > Wiring was created for easy attachment of either a solar charge controller > or an onboard charger running from 110v ac. > The cheapest solar controller I could find was installed and a 50 watt solar > panel was acquired. > Two onboard chargers were acquired, a 5 watt and a 30 watt and wiring rigged > to be able to easily switch between the solar charger or either onboard > charger. > And a Honda EU1000i generator was acquired. > > Results: > In temperatures ranging from a high of 85 to a low of 55 at night the > Norcold kept an internal temperature between 38 and 42 degrees around the > clock depending on where the control was set. > On a 110 AH battery I'd expect to go at least four or five days before the > battery was to low to operate the 'fridge. A fully charged battery, reading > 12.5 volts, will drop to about 11.85 volts in 24-30 hours, down to about > 11.2 in 48 hours. > Cycle times on the Norcold were 50% or less most of the time. > A 50 watt solar panel, under a brilliant Sun at 6,300 feet will bring the > battery up from about 11.5 volts to 13 volts in about six hours. > > I mentioned a Honda generator. My thinking: Belt and suspenders. What if > no Sun? I'd planned to test out the charging from the generator and the > weather cooperated, overcast on that day anyway. Results: A 5 amp 'Battery > Tender' type charger just don't cut it, Dennis was very right when he said > it wouldn't even keep up, it just barley did. After an hour I disconnected > the small charger and hooked up the 30 amp charger. Instantly heard the > load on the generator and the charger pulled the battery up to 14 v in about > an hour. > > Did I stress the system all the way to a dead battery? No. Am I convinced > that a 50 watt solar panel can be used for extended camping? Yes, but only > with good Sun (and adjusting the angle of the panel every hour or so.) > > Will a generator do the job with the right charger? Of course. > > The one option that I didn't try was using the 12v battery charging option > on the Honda generator. I hadn't set up wiring to do that and was also > worried about the quality of the 12v from the gnerator, didn't want to > disconnect everything from the battery to protect other circuits, like the > Norcold. BTW, I had the Honda cable for this, two guys parked next to me, > with the bigger Honda, used the cable to charge their batteries. > > What remains to be done? Well, as mentioned above, complete the upgrade > wiring for the Surepower 1315, right now I'm not able to take advantage of > the aux boost for starting feature. I'll also come up with a better, > permanently mounted volt meter/battery monitor system. I just attached a > DVM to the battery with long leads to monitor the battery for this trip. > > One other, last item. What about noise from the Norcold? There have been > several comments from those that have installed the Norcold about the hum of > the compressor. Being forewarned I used Sorbothane under the Norcold to try > to isolate it and was very careful that no other part of the 'fridge touched > anything except where it was screwed to the front panel to keep it in > place. Only one time did the hum/noise really get my attention and that was > when a pot on the stove was sitting just right and started vibrating. When > I firgured that out and moved the pot the noise dropped back to an almost > inaudible level. At night, if you are listening for it, you can hear the > Norcold cycle on and off. I'm not sensitive to noise at night, can sleep > with the Propex running, so no problem for me. I'm going to add rubber > washers between the front frame and the cabinet, where the mounting screws > are, and see if thatreduces the noise even further but not becuase it's > annoying, just to see if it makes a difference. > > I hope all this helps and has been of value. And thanks again to all that > offered such good advice, it really helped in this process. >