Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:12:41 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux Battery Charging Alternatives Question for the Electrical
              Gurus

I am no electrical guru, but I have been using a similar system for over 10 years and never had a problem if I inadvertently had more than one charging source going at the same time. All of the sources other than the alternator are fully automatic and therefore can adjust to that situation. My solar panel is always on when under way and neither the alt. or the controller minded. The only thing that I found to be an issue was when the shore power is hooked up and I want to use my 30 amp charger, I need to remember to unplug my hardwired trickle charger so that the big charger is not tricked by that input voltage. Same goes for the solar charger, so I unplug that, too. That way the 30amp charger can do a proper test mode and charge accordingly.

Unlike my current 90 Syncro Westy which has a gowesty aux batt kit, my 84 Westy had a marine battery switch so that it was easy to isolate/combine/disconnect either battery. That system was great for working on the electrical system too. With a switch like that I could instantly go from one to the other in case of a dead battery. Downside was that it was manual and you had to pay attention to which battery was charging and which battery you are using as the aux. while camping.

Thanks for all the good info on your system, Loren. Very helpful and appreciated!

Keith O