Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:37:36 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

--- Robert Fisher <rerefisherCMCHSIOM> wrote: > > To my mind it isn't the market value or potential resale value of the van > that factors into its cacandidicyor a transplant;

You are right that it is not exactly the value or resale value. It's the age and the overall condition of a clunker. If everything is in the brink of falling apart it is not at all a wise spending in a transplant. A pair of new soles will not be a good idea for a nearly totally worn out pair of shoes.

My 84 has a used trtrannyhat I put in after my original failed a few years ago. It is running fine but it really is living on borrowed time on the trtranny Who knows. It mat actually hanging there for many years. I now shift very carefully and sometimes I even skip the 3rd, which is the offending one.

All my CV joints are noisy, wheel bearings are not guquietither. The brake is adequate but I know I have not replaced the drums or rotators for years. I have small chips on the windshield. Moldings on all winders have faded and shrunk, become too short. Window seals look fine but you can tell the age. I think I have a torn boot on a ball joint last time I checked. Bushings of my steering rack are worn and loose. I ofoftenear clunking noise from the bottom of the passenger side when driving on rough road. There is no tear or any damage in the interior but all fabric has faded. Carpet has little fur left.

The resale value will not be anything to be excited. But truly it is not a candidate for a transplant like your 87 may be, although value is not the direct factor in justifying for a conversion. I still baby my 84. I bought it new. I will keep it up at my best. I am proud that it is one that costs the least for me for so many years. It costs less than $700 per year including purchasing cost and all repair costs but excluding fuel, oil, insurance and registration.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center. http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/