Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:07:12 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Surepower 1315 was Aux Battery Charging Alternatives Question
              for the Electrical Gurus
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

When I installed my aux battery, I found that the wire (#12 IIRC) that WAS supplying 12V from fuse box rearward to the fridge/kitchen, became "dead" as it was now DISconnected at both ends. After reading some posts, I became aware that it could be used to supply 12V from new aux. battery to fuse box under dash.

I took the silver socket out of commission, connected the "new" wire to one end of the now available fuse (was used by SS) and connected the CD player and interior lights to other end. (conveniently, on my 81' the rear lights and dome lights all ran off the same fuse) Of course I connected the other end to the aux battery.

Fairly straight ahead to do, but one does have to be careful of what the load will be on the new branch circuit. (if that's the correct term) and use the appropriate gauge wire and fuse. I kept it to low draw stuff and did NOT connect the stock cig socket to it. i.e. unless someone goes to a lot of trouble, nothing else can be connected to this "new" circuit. As for gauge, the #12 was more than ample, and barring the actual wires from radio, I used the stock wiring supplied lights and radio.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 7/19/07, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > New Subject line > Another aspect of using the Surepower 1315 instead of the stock relay has to > do with moving the internal accessory wiring over to the aux battery. The > normal usual way to move the accessories over is to run an extra wire from > the aux battery to the accessory fuse at the fuse block under the dash, pull > the fuse (fuses depending on year) and provide the 12v to the non-hot end of > the fuse holder. But when you install the 1315 there is a wire from the > fuse block that WAS running 12v BACK to the aux battery relay. This can now > be used to run 12v FROM the aux battery to the fuse block and avoid having > to run another wire forward. > BUT, at least in my case, this only worked after some other surgery on > wiring at the fuse block, it was NOT straight forward. I'd still be trying > to figure it out. But Paul Druzyk from BC was helping me and he knew what > he was doing. > So don't ask me for the details on this wiring change because I can't tell > you exactly what was done. Paul labeled all the wires he changed and I'll > be able follow it if I need to in the future but I didn't make detailed > notes or diagrams at the time. > Just pointing out that in the case of the Surepower 1315 the Elegance of > Simplicity triumphs. >