Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:46:49 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: dometic thermostat replacement?
Comments: To: Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@verizon.net>

I've dealt with the Texas outfit (called PPL RV Parts Superstore) for parts for both my RM182B in Ole Putt and for a new Heater Element and Thermostat on my RM100 2way (Gas/110V) Fidge/Freezer in my 1977 Class C Holiday Rambler Motorhome for the past couple of years now. Great place to deal with, they've been very helpful on parts for both fridges, even some hard to find items.

This is their main page - http://www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore/index.aspx

Just select Dometic Refrigerators on the Category Search, then in the left frame, select Dometic Refrigerators and then the left frame will show Dometic's entire product line they've ever made. Scroll down to the RM182 series and select your model and let the site do the rest. As you look through the parts list in the right frame, you'll find some items pricey. Items with no price are no longer available. And yes, the replacement items will be compatible because they're usually genuine Dometic parts. If a genuine Dometic item isn't available, they will tell you that it might be an aftermarket made replacement. An example is the Heater Element for my RM100 - Dometic original no longer available, but an aftermarket repro was available from them and has worked just fine.

I have an extra thermostat for the RM182 that I got from them, so if yer afraid to order from them, you can have it from me for $49 which includes Priority Mail. I make nothing on it and I accept Paypal. (Paypal ID is jim96003@earthlink.net ). I'll just buy another one as a spare from PPL.

I don't have a picture of it, but I'll dig the digital camera out and snap a pic and pmail it to you.

And don't expect Dometic to reply back. They never have when I inquired. All they're concerned about is market new product and if yer a big shop, buying thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them, then they talk to you. But for small fry like you and I, they aren't very service/parts friendly. But if they do reply, see what they charge to the retail public. Betcha it ain't cheep.

YMMV -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 7/19/07, Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@verizon.net> wrote: > > hit the wrong reply button, so it didn't go to all yas... > > Begin forwarded message: > > > From: Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@verizon.net> > > Date: July 19, 2007 5:49:59 PM PDT > > To: "Old Volks Home" <oldvolkshome@gmail.com> > > Subject: Re: dometic thermostat replacement? > > > > It's not the thermocoupler I need, it is definitely the thermostat. > > And it is the Dometic 182B, sorry, but thought all thermostats were > > same for both a&B. The tube broke when somebody took it out the > > last time, or maybe it's broken from stress and age. This fridge > > had never been used before I gave it a shot. I'd bet a large patch > > of my farm on it anyways. 1983 WaterWesty. The fridge worked for > > maybe 2 days then I got propane smell and no more cooling. I just > > now took it out and see that a connector copper nut was completely > > cracked, vertically, in line with threads, all around the nut, and > > the thermostat pipe is also broken. The only thing I still need > > fixed is the thermostat. > > All the places I contacted said it was unobtainium. Have not heard > > back from Dometic. > > And yeah, thanks OldVolksHome. However I am kind of nervous about > > ordering from either one of those links, no pic, no description? > > Will it be compatible with the housing on the fridge? Anybody > > ordered those before? > > Just need some reassurance...else I have to do some more serious > > legwork, or God forbid, the Samba with its exorbitant pricing. > > Isn't there a scam that would fool the fridge into getting a high > > thermostat input? Would be overkill, but what's that with these > > reefers anyways? > > I had also just recently become aware that the thermostat lead is > > actually hollow filled with gas. That's why I called it tube. Mooooob! > > > > Any input is greatly appreciated. > > > > Matthias > > > > > > On Jul 19, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Old Volks Home wrote: > > > >> You didn't give a year and more importantly, the model number of > >> your fridge (RM182A, B or BEGI). Westfalia shows two different > >> Thermostats: > >> > >> VW# 253 070 522 80-86 w/RM182A or B > >> > >> VW# 255 070 527 87-91 w/RM182B or BEGI > >> > >> It is basically a disc shaped piece with two electrical terminals > >> and the disc bracket attaches to the fins on the fridge. While, > >> VW has discontinued carrying these, but are still available from > >> RV supply houses with prices ranging from $40 to $50. While VW > >> doesn't indicate the earlier one being superseded to the later > >> one, from my research, it shows that Dometic only offers one > >> replacement regardless of fridge RM182 series model. Here's a > >> link to a place in Texas that offers them (around $44): > >> > >> http://www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore/pc-120614-1-switcht-stat-n.aspx > >> > >> or Bus Depot (at $16 higher, if they can get them): > >> http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255070527 > >> > >> I'm not sure what you mean by the "tube rather broken". Are you > >> sure you're talking about the Thermostat or the ThermoCouple (VW # > >> 253 070 589 [now 255 070 506]), which has a long copper tube? 2 > >> entirely different items. > >> > >> If what you're looking for is the ThermoCouple, here's a few links: > >> > >> From GoWesty: > >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php? > >> id=2446&category_id=129&category_parent_id = > >> > >> From that Texas place I described earlier (almost $10 higher than > >> GoWesty): > >> http://www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore/pc-141787-1-thermocouple-n.aspx > >> > >> From Bus Depot (over $20 higher than GoWesty): > >> http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=253070589 > >> > >> Hope this info might help.....and I agree with Dennis Haynes, a > >> heater regulator/home thermostat would not work very well, if at all. > >> -- > >> Jim Thompson > >> 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > >> 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > >> 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" > >> 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > >> oldvolkshome@gmail.com > >> http://www.oldvolkshome.com > >> *********************************** > >> On 7/19/07, Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@verizon.net > wrote: > >> I just removed my fridge and saw that it has the thermostat lead > >> wire, tube rather broken. What are my replacement options? I heard > >> someone say that a regulator home thermostat for an upright gas > >> heater can be substituted. If so how? I guess my Dometic will not > >> reach full capacity ever without thermostat influence? That tube > >> being broken means it's not working on high, since the gas inside > >> escaped? It will only work on low now? Could I tweak it so it's > >> always on full steam/gas? > >> Finally found the cause of my gas leak: A cracked nut to the > >> refrigerator gas valve, on the main copper line. Unbelievable. But > >> managed to fix that. > >> > >> I shall finally reach happycamperdom! > >> > >> Matthias