Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:28:27 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: One More 'Fridge Thread

Jake has a good suggestion. If someone is counting on his or her refrigerator to keep their food safe for consumption, they need to check that it is keeping it below 40F, and not just take the word of someone with a similar refrigerator who may be pleased at how cold their food or beverages feel, but hasn't actually popped a $1 thermometer inside to confirm that it's cold enough. Diarrhea, cramps, vomiting, headache and fever are not fun.

Folks who are enjoying their Dometics could do everyone in the community a favor if they did as Jake suggested: report the actual temperature differential between their fridge and the outside air on a hot summer day.

If nothing else, providing such data could settle the ongoing question about whether those of us who have never seen the inside of their reefer more than 40F below the outside temp on a hot day have properly operating reefers or not.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Jake Beaulieu typed: > Many folks say their Domectic works "great", others say "not say great". > I think part of the problem is that "great" is a subjective term. One > persons "great" is another persons "not so great". > > I would like people to report the actual temperature differential between > their frdige and the outside air on a hot summer day. Summer temperatures > where I live frequently exceed 90. The min temperature that raw beef or > chicken can be stored at is 40F according to the USDA. Thus, my fridge > needs to generate at least a 50 degree differential (90-40=50) on a hot > day for it to be "great" in my mind. I don't think I have seen any data > on the list demonstrating anything better than a 45 degree differential. > A 40 degree differential is "great" if it is 75 degress outside and you > want a cold beer, but it sucks if it 90 is degress outside and you want > your chicken breast to be safe to cook up for dinner. > > jake > 82 westy, fridge is "not so great" >