Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:06:38 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Talk to me about AT's!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis Haynes typed:

[snip]

> However, > you may also have an adjustment or control problem preventing the tranny > from working completely as it should. > > For going up hills, when the accelerator is floored, a forced down shift > should occur automatically.

That's the "kick down" mechanism, yes? Mine works but it does require a fairly manly stomp on the pedal -- just gradually flooring the accelerator does not cause the transmission to downshift.

> [snip] > > This will shoot you up most hills. If the hill is > extended or you find it hunting between 2 and 3, then manually down shift > and back off the throttle to maintain ~ 4,200 rpm. This will keep the > engine oil from overheating.

Okay, interesting. I was holding closer to 3,800 rpm. 4,200 is a sweeter spot?

> > For going down hill, the rule of thumb is go down in the same gear as you > would go up. Since the tranny does not know you are going down hill, > manually down shift and definitely let the engine braking do some of the > work. If you are still going to fast, you want to use the brakes to scrub > off speed and then cost again. You don't want to ride the brakes all the > way > down. There is some skill, art to doing this properly. THese conditions are > where larger brakes and vented rotors have benefit.

Thanks -- this makes sense. My unfamiliarity with auto transmissions had me thinking about warnings about towing vehicles with auto trannies -- unless set to neutral? I worried that maybe the axles are meant to be the "output" from the gears, and the engine the "input," and that driving the transmission from the wheels may cause problems.

> [snip] > > A lower gear makes heat as there are now a lot of gears turning to make the > reduction.

Thus the marked change in the sound of the transmission -- the sonic character that had me wondering how much stress I was putting on things while climbing for a long period in 1 or 2.

> This also makes for a lot more wear but overall it is better > than > forcing the torque converter and lugging the engine. >

Thanks, Dennis -- I hope I'm not the only one who will find this information useful.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR