Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:11:02 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: pre 83 manual shifting, substandard or unrelable?
Comments: To: Kai Mei <kai@newclear.us>

I have an 81' AC and it shifts fine.

Bear in mind that aside from clutch componenents, and assuming engine runs well, there's basically 2 different systems that would affect tranny shifting. The linkage and the tranny itself.

When I first got mine, the linkage felt tight. i.e. gearshift moved less easily than it should have. The gears worked fine (tranny system) but even I, as a newbie Westy owner, noticed the shifter was stiff.

Two things that helped.

- changing the tranny oil to a better type. I believe mechanic put in "Moly G"

- Shifter was lubed "front to back"

Originally the front tranny mount was suspected, by me, to be causing stiffness in the shift linkage. The mount was shown as "broken" in the inspection report I had done before buying van. I figured the tranny was sagging enough to affect shift linkage. Of course after getting into wrenching on this van myself, I could see that the front tranny mount wasn't broken. It was lube and gear oil change that fixed it.

There are reasons one might avoid purchasing an AC van. It all depends on your situation and preferences. I can say for sure that it's getting a little more challenging to find parts for the AC 2.0 That be reason enough for some to stay away.

I intended to buy a diesel, but found this 81 with a good body, and engine for a reasonable price. I have no regrets!

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 7/20/07, Kai Mei <kai@newclear.us> wrote: > Go westy writes: > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > additionally, the first stab at the 4-speed shifter system was a > complete failure and was totally re-designed with the introduction of > the gasoline water-cooled model in late 1983 > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > > What's your guys take on it? Should the A/C be avoided for this reason? > > Thanks. >