Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:25:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Will not start question
Comments: To: "Randy C. Nunes" <randycnunes@YAHOO.COM>

There are two ways to see if the injectors are being fired... The first one -super easy, takes a second or two - NOID light... A little light you plug onto the injector wire - you crank the engine - the light flashes, you know the ecu is firing the injectors, or at least that one.

The other way is to hang them outside the engine and watch them spray. I wouldn't do that - too messy and too much trouble - if you need to see the spray pattern , it's useful though, it's in Bentley. Usually the injectors are being fired in a no-start situation, tho it is possible of course. Noid light, that you get from a FLAPS ....( or I could/should sell them ) ..... Takes almost zero effort to know immediately that the ECU is firing the injectors.

On a 1.9 wbxr -think about the coolant temp sensor - it's a critical input - if the ECU doesn't' see that sensor, it will not start. I've found corroded connections, weak ones etc there. It has to get a good connection there. I have not found many bad temp sensors. You could also just pop another one on for a quick test -it doesn't have to be screwed into the cooling system for a quick 'will it start now' test. Just plug it onto the wires going to the ecu. You should have a known good one in your box of road trip emergency parts. It's a small part, it's critical, and not hard to carry in the van at all times.

You could also just have it flooded. Look at one spark plug , if it's wet ...either no ignition is happening, or it's just flooded.

I assume you've checked that there is ignition happening., spark coming out of the coil is the quick-easy test. Everyone who works on their own car *really* should have a Remote Starter Switch - you hook that up, you can crank the engine and be right by it while you test for spark out of the ignition. I even put a 'starter trigger' wire near the engine to be able to easily connect a remote starter switch. Having one of these is SO useful it's silly not to have one. One can even rescue you if your ignition switch gives out, which they do.

Back to 'might be flooded' - You can unflood a fuel injected engine by cranking continuously with wide open throttle ...BUT ....the air flow meter keeps it from really being a wide open air path - for that you'd have to temporarily remove the air flow meter .....to get it unflooded by cranking with wide open throttle. Sometimes you can pull an air boot hose for the same affect.

I have boxes of 1.9 wbxr parts, like known-good 1.9 ecu's, should you need any. Scott www.turbovans.com