Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:33:46 -0700
From:         monte merrick <montemerrick@SPEAKEASY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Camping..slight rant without V-C
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

theoretically you can still camp anywhere in the national forest in oregon for free, and i jsut camped in a relatively easy to access CG (corral springs, just north of chemult) at the north end of the Klamath Basin, that had no fee, picnicntables, vault toilets and fire rings and trian tracks (amtrak and freight) a mile off and well within earshot so not exactly back country. of course this is a CG that serves mostly as a an exceptionally nice rest area for the traveler - not as a destination such as close-by crater lake.

i dont mind paying to support what i love. sucha s the friendly rangers of humboldt county parks, and the beautiful camaraderie of andrew moleraSP at big sur, these are around ten bucks a night - which aint cheap - its almost the same as monthly rent and basically its a trash and bathroom fee - a lot more than you might spend at home for these services and the bathroom at home lets face it probably smells and looks a lot better.

of course with the great pressure to log and develop i'm sure the more conservative politicians think that wilderness must pay its own way if its not goinng to meet the axe, and i agree 100 per cent with mr kao that the government today is a war machine that gobbles anything and everything to convert to its bloody agenda - so..... i'm down with the rant

happy trails anyway and remember - the mayan calender says we've only got to endure this another five years (hahahahahaha)

take care

monte

If I have unjustly wrested a plank from a drowning man, I must restore it to him though I drown myself. - henry thoreau