Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:34:07 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Inside a Subi engine EJ22

>I'll break it down for you, it does seem odd on initial inspection. > >You have a conversion that you bought in a van. You have no attachment >to it, you didn't install it yourself, and now it's having repeat >problems at multiple points of failure. The headers(now 3 sets total >have cracked, from two different vendors) and ECU(on the 2nd or 3rd >ecu have failed). After the 3rd set of headers cracks

Even a Subaru can be screwed-up by someone with sufficient cowboy genes, surely enough. I've had a botched Toyota implant on a T2 van, and the van & engine were both writeoffs, so I know all about that sort of thing.

>Well after the re-conversion >all of those problems are gone forever and the owner has moved on and >is enjoying the syncro again. Even if you converted to yet another >subie setup without those problems, there is no guarantee because the >warranty is short. So what would you do? The 2nd re-conversion is >because it is again, an older conversion, not performed by the owner, >and is having problems, rather than fix them the owner wants a low >mileage engine and everything else in good shape... for the rest of >the van's life. This is easy to do with a zetec, you can replace it >everytime one hits 100k since they are cheap enough, or ride it out to >200k either way you aren't committed to an expensive engine ever >again, and since there is no direct benefit from the engine being >priced that high, simply lack of supply, that's like having one >basket, with all your eggs in it. He'll be able to drive on a young >engine for the rest of the van's life and for every long trip he makes >if he wants, and be able to bolt on more power later if he wants,

Age doesn't matter, condition does, and the most reliable engines will last far longer than less reliable ones. EGJs are some of the best in this regard, so milage is far less important than maintenence/treatment history. I have never been bothered by milages that turn most others off, having had several diesel Toyotas with 500/600-grand-plus km on the clock, and all of those had rewound odometers.

>but >the zetec is already making more than his ej22 anyhow.

Eh? US EJ22s must be pretty severely detuned, then. The EJ was always a refined engine. The German-designed Zetec has never been regarded as refined. Anything holding an EJ (or EG) back is more likely to be a result of aging fuel-system rather than the engine itself, and in my case the aftermarket management system will make up for that.

However for any particular individual, whatever works is what counts.

>Besides Andrew you're a happy subie guy, not an unhappy subie guy. >Totally different outlook.

To be honest, I haven't driven a Subaru-powered van yet. The engine & trans have been installed but I'm waiting for funds for further wrok. Some have just arrived and I hope to have a Link management system installed & tuned... which will also require the throttle-cable to be adapted. Hopefully this will not have any teething problems... at the same time also I hope I can afford to modify & fit the 911 gearshift.

I have the Porsche CVs, CV adaptors & adaptor driveshafts as well as complete Porsche brakes which I can fit myself, so that should see the bus drivable. Jeez, maybe it'll see the road again without an A-frame after all!

Once that & an exhaust are done, THEN I'll be able to render an opinion based on actual firsthand experience, rather than a vicarious one. I hope I'll be a happy Subie guy.