Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:43:04 -0500
From:         Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 still not starting, need fuel pump advice
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com>

Well, I just pulled the fuel pump off and bench tested it. It seems to work at times, but other times just "bumps" but doesn't run. What's more puzzling is that there is no gas in the line coming from the tank to the pump. It has 5 gallons in it.

When I did the reseal for the tank last week, I blew out all the "ports" going into it and did not notice a clog so I assumed the tank was still good (Yes, I know what happens when you "assume" things...). Thought about changing the tank as well, but it "looked" ok. I originally did the tank reseal because when I first started on this problem someone suggested that I had a clogged tank (should have listened more closely). When I had it out though, I did not notice any sediment or rust coming out of it. It appeared in fairly good condition so I left it.

I seem to have heard of a screen in the tank some time back and the thought of punching through it to get the gas to flow again. Is this possible or am I looking at a new tank now? I pushed a wire up into it about a foot and have hit a dead end, with no gas coming out still.

Thanks again...

On 7/21/07, David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com> wrote: > You said your pump is new. So it is not very likely to be bad. > If you are not getting fuel at the injectors perhaps your pump is > not receiving fuel to pump. > > You may want to think about things at the time when the problem first > started. > > You said you put in a new seal kit for your gas tank and your pump > was new and you crank the engine with no start. The question is did it > start before you changed anything? What prompted you to make changes > to the seal and the fuel pump? > > The ECU, ignition module, fuel pump relay and the pump are all realted. > You may need to swap each of them with good ones, one at a time, to see > which one is causing the problem. > > A You Pull kind of junkyard can be a place for treasure hunt for these > things. I have two vanagons so I do my treasure hunt between two vanagons. > > David. > > > > > --- Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Still having starting issues with me 87 GL. > > > > I was not getting power to my fuel pump and have replaced the relays, > > ignition switch, and alternator because I noticed the regulator was > > bad due to the old alternator wobbling. Just finished a job replacing > > fuel tank seals and new fuel filter. > > > > Now I'm getting power to the fuel pump at least. Connected a test > > light and it goes on when I turn the key, stays on briefly (a couple > > of seconds) and then turns off. I understand this is normal. But, > > there is no fuel getting to engine. Engine cranks fine, but does not > > turn over. > > > > I bought the fuel pump new a few years back, but my van has been > > sitting for quite awhile. > > Wondering now if the pump has "frozen" up from crap or water that may > > have been in my tank. Is it possible to test for this? Is there anyway > > to clean out the fuel pump or make sure it turns properly? > > > > Man! I was really hoping that it would start right up today! Any other > > suggestions? > > THANKS! > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast > with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut. > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather >