Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:54:45 -0700
From:         Brendan Slevin <brendan@BELLATAZZA.COM>
Subject:      first 400+ mile trip

So Totoro had its first longer trip and everything went very well. We live in Bend, Oregon and went to Portland to meet my parents to give them the 10 year old boy child and the 6 year old girl child for a week! (A week with only our 6 month old! Wow! That's another story.) About 160 miles there over Mt. Hood, 80 miles around Portland and 180 back over Santiam Pass. It was so great, only dipping to about 50 and third gear on the steepest parts of the passes about 60-65 everywhere else just fine. I was pleasantly surprised when we filled up in Portland on Sunday, we had gone 227 miles on 10.4 gallons of gas. 21.8 MPG. I was expecting less. Coming back we went over Santiam Pass so we did about 40 miles of freeway on I-5. Kept up with traffic well, about 70. It seemed like Totoro didn't mind at all. We haven't filled up since getting back home, I'll be interested to see if our mileage was less from the 70mph+ freeway jaunt. Only one small incident the whole trip: We were playing space ship on the way there. You know third was warp drive, fourth was hyperspace. Anyway, all of a sudden my son say to my wife in the passenger seat, "Mama, there's smoke coming from your bum!" We laughed it of and told him very funny, but don't joke about smoke in the van. Just then my wife noticed there really was smoke form under her seat! We were coming down the side of Hood and found a spot to pull off. Realizing what's under the passenger seat of a Vanagon I quickly shut everything electrical off and cut the engine. I set the brake and opened the battery access. No more smoke, no embers, no melted wires. But VERY hot wires on the + side. Turns out the guy I got Totoro from had recently changed the battery and didn't tighten the cables. All that current trying to fight through a very loose connection really heated things up. I easily tightened everything up and we were good to go. And hey, the instrument cluster was much brighter after that (everything else, too, I'm sure.) All in all, a wonderful trip. A question though, the battery in Totoro seems a bit tall for the space, what group should it be? I'm thinking an Optima is in order, is there a model that is appropriate? Thanks!

Brendan Slevin 84 GL Totoro I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. -T.S. Eliot