Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:58:53 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where is The Heat Going?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis Haynes typed: > http://gasrefrigeration.net/dom_techdata/MAN_SM.PDF > http://www.fiberglassrv.com/manuals/dometic-service-man.pdf

[snip]

> FWIW the wattage of both the 12 volt and 120 volt heaters is 85. The > BTU input on gas has to be fairly close as too much heat will also stop the > unit from working and damage it.

It makes sense that the amount of heat from the flame that is applied to the working bits of the refrigerator has to be close to that provided by the electric heating elements, so we can assume that the flame puts out at least 290 btu/hr (equivalent to 85 watt hours). But it seems to me that the heat of the exhaust gases coming out the flue represents waste heat that is in addition to the 290 btu/hr that the working bits are using. Since the exhaust flue and the combustion chamber radiate some heat, my guess is that the heat behind the refrigerator will be greater with the flame than with the electric heating elements. I could be wrong about that, but I'll bet a bottle of good IPA on it.

Anyways, the original question was whether the Norcold generates as much waste heat as the Dometic. The fact that once both reefers have cooled their foods the Dometic dissipates 85W/hr steady-state while the more efficient Norcold comes in at about 15W/hr (or less, depending on ambient temperature) suggests that the Norcold dissipates at least 5 times less heat. After all, the power going into the refrigerators has to come out as heat, and maybe in the case of the Norcold, a wee bit of compressor noise.

I'm surprised that there isn't a propane consumption rate spec for the RM 182 floating around.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR