Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:30:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head machined or my way ...
Comments: To: Zoltan <zolo@foxinternet.net>

If it's only 0.1 mm ....that's almost nothing. I would check the water gasket gap by putting the head on temporarily without the water gasket...just snug up the head bolts a little ...no need to torque them down hard or anything.

Well.....about how vw parts are made to such good quality .....well......I don't especially agree, but don't want to go putting down vw's here. I *wish* there were more like Mercedes or older volvo's or Toyota's ....a lot tougher than they are - but whatever ! Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Zoltan [mailto:zolo@foxinternet.net] Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 7:16 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Head machined or my way ...

Interesting reading. I was surprised about the 4-7 mm difference. Most

every part is nicely made, to good quality. I only take out 0.1 mm the most and that is fine without touching the rest of the head. I was wondering if the differences in gaps are not something to do with the head's distortion by heat. Maybe there is an other master who can add some to this thread. Thanks for the info. Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Daniel - Shazam " <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> To: "'Zoltan'" <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:08 PM Subject: RE: Head machined or my way ...

There is more to consider. If you lower the sealing ring face in the combustion chamber , you also need to remove a like amount from the other cylinder, and a like amount from the main bottom face.

The relationship between those two places....where the rings go, and the bottom main face... determines how much the head squeezes the 'water retention rubber gasket' (a joke design if there ever was one. )

If you just 'flycut' the heads, and don't also surface the bottom a like amount ........the rubber gasket will get pinched too much, and split and leak after a while ( I learned this the hard way once....on a new head no less ! ) .

What you should do is install the head over the barrels temporarily and measure the water gasket space. One vw tech told me to do that and 'if it's less than 4 mm try another head' ....!!!..which is a joke since it was a big breakthrough when they invented standard size parts in the 20's ..

( ...at one time each part was custom fitted for each engine etc.....at the 1922 world fair or something, it was a huge deal that they took 3 Buicks apart, and swapped around all the parts and put them all back together in different places and all the cars ran .....)

So when I heard that 'try another head' I really got a good laugh over that. I tried that on a head or two ...I found the rubber water gasket faces not parallel ...found it varying from 4 to 7 mm across the face.......what a joke.

How the barrels sit ( they could be tilted slightly ) ...and how far down the heads fit over the barrels affects that water gasket. So, if you really did remove much material......you should consider doing it to the other cylinder, and a like amount from the bottom of the head, you should to this 'dry fit' measuring.

Then 'next time' just put in a Subaru engine. They have head gasket issues sometimes, but nothing like the waterpuker joke system. At least they have 'real' , and flat, head gaskets. No rings and o-rings n' and air-cooled engine originated stuff like waterpuker, er I mean waterboxer engines have. It's barely a viable system.

Heck, even in the mid or late 90's you could nag VW of America enough over this silly design to get them to pay for the repairs, even though the van was out of warranty.

Scott www.turbovans.com