Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:15:45 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Upon seeing bostig's handiwork

OK, so I'm at 216K miles on my 90 carat original engine so I can't say that a conversion hasn't entered my mind, but it's still running strong and I don't worry about it all that much. I have watched the subaru versus zetec conversions out of the corner of my eye for a while.

But this afternoon I got a visit from my neighbor Dre on this list who interned at Bostig for a while this summer and got a conversion done while there at Jim and Brady's shop. He let me ogle and drive his zetec converted 88 automatic. I was extremely impressed with the conversion mechanicals. I mean, that little engine just sits in there straight up (I'm used to seeing the 50 degree diesel in my westy and my flat waterboxer). You get a good view of the road from the engine compartment as the engine takes up very little space. Minimum wiring mess. All very neat. Everything is right there, even if it takes a few minutes to get oriented to where things are re-mounted. Everything is done right, very right, from the stainless steel intake to the tip of the exhaust and all the hanger bits in between.

And driving? Well, you've got about the same mileage as the waterboxer with a good bit more power. I didn't drive it it all that far, and didn't get on the Interstate, but we pulled a good hill and checked the acceleration on several flat spots. The motor was powerful and smooth. I also like the fact that you can plug in a device that allows tweaking both speed and economy and supports data logging.

Very impressive.

Jim