Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:05:15 -0400
From:         Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Come to a VW camping event in CT

I'd like to spread the word about a camping event in northwestern CT this August. It is our second year in this location. Last year we had about 13 campers; this year it would be nice to add more. Everyone is any type of VW camper, or any VW enthusiast, is welcome to attend.

The event is known as Buses by the Bridges (also Small States Campout)

This year's event is from from Fri., Aug. 24 to Sun., Aug 26.

The campground is at a state park in Sharon, in northwest CT, right on the Housatonic River (Housatonic Meadows State Park). Water level permitting, there is tubing, kayaking, and canoeing. A rental place is nearby. Hiking trails are also available. Unfortunately, pets and alcohol are not allowed by the state, but many people drink quietly without a problem. The fact that it is such a great location seems to make up for the other drawback. Limerock racetrack is very close, and several covered bridges if you like to visit those.

Last year we had a pot-luck dinner on Saturday, followed by a raffle, and a burrito breakfast on Sunday.

You have to reserve through Reserve America (www.reserveamerica.com) With their fee, it would be $35 for the two nights. ($13 per night plus a $9 fee). The campground has free hot showers and clean bathrooms, but no water or electric hook-ups, though water is available in several places. Sharing of sites is allowed, so two camping vehicles can share a site for the same price. What seemed to work out well last year is for people to reserve a site, and then if people show up withoug a reservation, you can see if there is a site, and if not, most people didn't mind sharing if necessary. If you plan to go, please let me know if you have reserved a site, which one, and whether or not you would be willing to share. I like river sites, but all of the sites are pretty good. Also let me know if you plan to participate in the potluck and burrito breakfast, and what you plan to bring.

Other info- the area is pretty rural, though there is a gas station, small grocery store, and hardware store within 7 minutes. Other, larger stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. are just over a half hour). Cingular, Alltel, and Verizon have so-so coverage.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions. It's a great location, and I hope to many of you there.

Ed Duntz